2 problems! NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 problems! NEED HELP!

I was riding today and everything was fine....just installed a new windscreen.

I hear a grinding noise in any gear between 3 and 5 thousand on the rpm...but over that it goes away. I pulled over and turned off the bike....thats where the problem started.

I couldnt get my bike to start up again.....battery is good...when i turned the key all power to the console and lights.....when i hit the START button....NOTHING. No noise....no engine turning....no spark....bike didnt start at all. I checked to see if there were anything unplugged but NO!

So im pushing it home and about 40 metres up i try it and it RUNS!!!! Sweet baby i got home....now the same thing is occuring!

Cant start it up.

Any help PLEASE!!!

FYI.....never had this problem before and i just rebuild my carbs....im sure thats not it...but just a heads up!

That grinding noise may have been the starter clutch, hence your starting problem.

Comment

The started clutch is where?

how much to buy a new one ususally?

Comment

Dont know what bike you have, but on my 650 you can see a lump on top of the gear box & under the carb's, that's the starter motor, that drives the starter clutch,To do this sort of job requires a workshop manual.
        But rule out everythig else first, could that new windscreen amplify a noise that was allredy there?
        Make shure all wireing is as it should be, you may have disturbed something when you did the carb's!
        Use jumper lead's and try starting from a car battery,with car not running.Batters sometimes just die.
        Short out the starter relay by putting a screwdriver across the two contacts,if the starter motor spins you have a fauly relay.Look out for the sparks when you do this.

Comment

I had this happen to me on the yamaha, the switch stuck on, the starter was running continuously. Low RPM made no sound, I noticed it when I got higher up in the band, puzzled it out, then noticed the switch stuck. Problem was the brushes were worn almost completely away. You may have burned up your brushes. That could give you spotty behavior when trying the starter. That would be the first thing I would check, brushes, and the starter switch.

Comment

K...i got a new starter solinoid and changed that.....it wasnt the problem....now im thinking its the starter motor?

Any suggestions?

Comment

I have to agree with Clone, check your brushes. My GS450 had to be rocked back and forth in gear to get the totally worn out brushes to engage a little. Gave every impretion of being the starter solenoid, but wasn't.

Comment

Working...
              X