Bad missing when I twist it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad missing when I twist it

Hey, I been here for years and never ask for help. Bike ran fine for last three years but now I am getting a severe miss (all or most cyl) when I twist it especially in lowest gears. Good batt, plugs, same after new gas. Starts and idle fine and cruising seems ok. 750l 16v. :?

probably carb related, if you have CV carbs maybe the slides are hanging up and not lifting (possibly one carb only)

Cut the engine when it does it and pull plugs to see if there is any sign of flooding or leaning out, or at least to get an idea if it is one two three or four cylinders causing the problem.

I find it is a good idea to sit and think about what I may have done to the bike or maybe where i got gas last and see if anything jumps out at me.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Sounds like its spark related to me. At idle or light throttle there is not a huge amount of matter, air and fuel, occupying the gap in the plug across which the spark must jump. As you open the throttle, there is now lots of oxygen, nitrogen and gas in the gap. These materials constitute an insulator and it takes a stronger spark to jump through it. The spark may now take alternate routes when they exist if the regular path across the plug is a harder than usual jump. So ratty plug leads, bad caps ect ect become suspect. Also the coils themselves may not be producing enough voltage to make the jump if the resistance is high. So an engine can run fine at light throttle and start missing when the throttle is "twisted"

Comment

Thanks, I guessed it was fuel or ignition related 8O . The only real major change was the handlebar. When I twist it the bike misfires and bogs I thought it was bad gas but the second tank has he same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by terrybird
          The only real major change was the handlebar. When I twist it the bike misfires and bogs.
          AH HA!!!
          check the right switch/throttle pod, see if you pinched any wires or if any wires are shorting.

Comment

Working...
          X