Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stator and ignition cover aluminum decals plates adhesive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator and ignition cover aluminum decals plates adhesive.

Does anyone know what type of adhesive is used to hold on the aluminum plate decal covers on the stator and ingintion? If so where can you get it? I have a couple decal plates that I have redone the black lettering on and I would like to reattach them to the covers. I thought about using JB weld but I am worried it is too stiff and would crack with the constant expansion contraction due to repeated heating/cooling. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I've used contact adhesive with good results. Spread it thinly on both surfaces, wait till it goes tacky and then making sure it's perfectly aligned, stick the two together. It'll take heat and expansion.

Comment

Contact adhesive

Originally posted by Guy
      I've used contact adhesive with good results. Spread it thinly on both surfaces, wait till it goes tacky and then making sure it's perfectly aligned, stick the two together. It'll take heat and expansion.
      Any name brand in particular? Can I get it at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Comment

When I bought replacments a few years back they came from Suzuki with 3M adhesive tape on the back. After 3 years they still are staying on.
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

You could probably use high temperature silicone. A product I used in the past where heat is involved that worked well was RTV High Temp Silicone, I think it was red.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

You can use the JB Weld if you want. Many is the old Triumph primary chain case that was repaired or filled with JB.

Comment

The brand I use is "evostik"
              Don't know what name it goes under in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                When I bought replacments a few years back they came from Suzuki with 3M adhesive tape on the back. After 3 years they still are staying on.
                Same here. 8)
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Thanks for the leads

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your help.

Comment

3M also makes rear view mirror adhesive. That stuff is like crazy glue X10. Would work awesome. As said before, the badges come with double sided 3M sticky tape.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X