Carb dipping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb dipping question

I was about to put my first carb body in the dip when I noticed a rubber seal not mentioned in the carb section here. Its on the throttle butterfly shaft under an e-clip and plastic washer. I'd like to pull the shaft because I assume it has the same type of seal on both sides but the screws holding on the butterfly are split and swedged on the back side.....

Any tips? Other than that the carbs look pretty good.

Also I could use a link to a good thead on rough setup for putting them back together.

Thanks!
    /\/\ac

Completely dissemble the carb. There should be nothing left but the cast body when you dip it. No screws or any other parts left installed.

Comment

I never saw the throttle piece described in the carb cleanup series?? I left the spring, and everything connected to the plate inside intact when I dipped them (or course I haven't had anything thru them since... :? )

there's a pictoral walkthru of the carbs (CV anyway) on the homepage links on the leftside! great help, but I didn't see the throttle part there either...?

also, I think the reason they say to only dip them for an hour at most is that there is some sort of sealant on the end of any brass plugs that will swell up and fall out (if left overnight), I don't know if it will really make them leak, but I lost mine, will report back

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
        Completely dissemble the carb. There should be nothing left but the cast body when you dip it. No screws or any other parts left installed.
        Thats easy for you to say....

Score so far:
        Butterfly screws 1
        Me 1

Using my best fitting phillips head I was able to take one right out and @#*% one right up. Looks like someone rejetted these carbs too... odd because it had a stock intake and exhaust.

These are the jet sizes I have: ()= what I think is stock, from a Billy Ricks post.

Bike is an '83 GS750ES

Main jet = 120 (117.5)
        Main air jet = 155 maybe 1.55? (1.7)
        Jet needle = 5D10 (5D12)
        Needle jet = Y-7 (Y-6)
        Pilot jet = 40 (37.5)
        Starter jet = Um... where is it? #45

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
        X