GS 850 regulator/rectifier problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 regulator/rectifier problem

I have a gs 850 that was not charging the battery. I tested the R/R with a standard continuity test using an ohmeter and it did not pass. I purchased a brand new electex R/R and installed it. I found that that did not solve the problem. The new R/R was not putting out enough voltage. I tested the alternator and found it to be putting out aprox. 70volts A/C @ 5000 rpm which is within spec. I also noticed the 3 leads going to the R/R from the alt. were getting very hot even with the black and red leads completely diconnected from the circuit. With no DC draw on the R/R there should be very little AC draw at the input. I removed the R/R from the bike and bench tested it using a known 70 volt AC source and it was still overdrawing current with no load on the output. In fact it had very little DC output. Apparently the R/R is not functioning correctly. Is it possible that the R/R I bought from electex was no good to start with? I made sure it was the correct item for my year and model bike. Or could there be something amiss in my motorcycle cicuitry that could have burnt it as well as the old one out? I just want to check with you guys before I go and get another R/R and possibly have the same problem again.
    Thanx
    Jim

It is entirely possible that the regulator is faulty from electrex, got a bad stator from em for a honda just two weeks ago, and if you search electrex on this forum you'll find at least a few stories of new/ nearly new regulators being bad.

they will warranty it though.

Comment

Their is some question as to their quality since the Co. has changed
      ownership

Comment

I've noticed Rick's are cheaper, but what is the quality of those like? Anybody used one?

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
          I've noticed Rick's are cheaper, but what is the quality of those like? Anybody used one?
          Rick's has had some good recommendations, including Earl's.

The last one I would accept readily..

As to Electrex...They have had a two-year warranty on their products for a long time, and that has been a good selling feature. Check out their site to be sure it continues.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

You need to check your stator to see if any lead is grounded. Others on this site have had good output from a stator that had a short to ground.

Comment

GS regulator/rectifiers

We had a rash of the same problems in the UK, the R/R unit would cook itself 5 minutes after the warranty ran out and to avoid repeats and costly replacements we got round it by fitting a honda unit from the breakers, the old CB250 unit was the favourite. It`s worth noting that the Honda unit is so good that you may have to disconnect one of the yellow leads or the battery will boil itself dry ( i found thid one out while touring Fance ) If you decide to give this a try I`d be gald to send you details of how to wire it in.

Comment

Working...
              X