Starter Motor Cover Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Motor Cover Removal?

I am replacing the stator in my 1981 GS550T. Is there a trick to removing the starter cover? I removed all the bolts, and maybe I'm just a wimp, but I can't pull that bad boy off! The Clymer manual warns against prying it off with a screwdriver (that's tempting!) and it says, "The cover is held tight by the magnetic attraction of the alternator rotor. A strong pull is required to overcome the magnetic field."

They're not kidding about a strong pull needed! Is there a trick to this? How do you get a good enough grip on the cover to get enough leverage?

I'm a first-time poster. Any help will be appreciated to get me back on the road! I've already missed a week of beautiful riding weather waiting for the stator to come in the mail.

Jay

Try this, heh, heh.

Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Make sure your hands & the cover are Clean then pull

Comment

He is kidding about the jumper cable. DONT even think it. It is a joke, but I think a dangerous one due to newbies not realizing it.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Wack the cover with a rubber mallot to break the gasket seal. Make sure you hands & the cover are Clean then pull.

Comment

there are alignment pins concealed in the mating surfaces, so the cover MUST be pulled STRAIGHT off. It will only cause it to bind tighter if any kind of wedge is used. Also, wedges or pry tools will scar the sealing surface and you likely will end up with oil leaks. Wipe the cover clean with acetone. Go around it about 4-5 times with a rubber mallet, giving it a reasonable whack every 3-4 inches. Hit at 12 oclock, then 6, then 3, then 9 and repeat .
            Wearing non slip rubber gloves will give you a better grip. Wiggle the cover with you hands at 12 and 6, then with them at 3 and 9. Go back and forth between the hand positions. The cover will come straight off.

Earl

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hey Lynn,

Maybe you should also add that he should make sure his hands and the cover are clean, then to pull! 8O
              Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
              "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E
              1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                He is kidding about the jumper cable. DONT even think it. It is a joke, but I think a dangerous one due to newbies not realizing it.

Earl
                The heh hehs and s didn't give it away?
                Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

You guys are great! I gave it a few whacks with a rubber mallet and it pulled right off! What a quick response, this site is the greatest! Thanks to all!

That "jumper cables" post sure took a turn! Entertaining!

Now my next question--the three wires in my existing stator are color coded, but the three wires in the replacement are all the same yellow. They all appear to be connected to the stator in the same manner, which is to say, there doesn't appear to be any difference in their purpose. So, does it matter which wires I hook them up to? If not, why are they color coded in the first place??

Comment

The stator wires are all the same NO color code needed

Comment

Sure, if you know the joke. I can see a newbie interpreting heh heh and a wink as meaning "this is so simple, I'm almost embarrassed to explain the proceedure".

Earl

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                      The heh hehs and s didn't give it away?

Comment

The three stator wires are electrically the same. Each wire is a different phase. It doesnt matter which one is hooked to which AC input wire on the R/R.

They are different colors because the Japanese are short, devious scoundrels intent on creating mayhem among the tall people of the world. The true extent of their wickedness is evidenced by their marketing of HD as an american made motorcycle..

Earl

Originally posted by jayz
                        Now my next question--the three wires in my existing stator are color coded, but the three wires in the replacement are all the same yellow. They all appear to be connected to the stator in the same manner, which is to say, there doesn't appear to be any difference in their purpose. So, does it matter which wires I hook them up to? If not, why are they color coded in the first place??

Comment

Thanks for the help! I'll pop the new stator in tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Hopefully I'll hit no more snags--if I do, I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks again!

Comment

I cant believe that thread is still floating around somewhere. I thought that we originaly told that jumper cable nut off royally but i guess i was wrong.

I noticed that JOJO posted to that thread as a guest. Nice memories there.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                              I cant believe that thread is still floating around somewhere. I thought that we originaly told that jumper cable nut off royally but i guess i was wrong.

I noticed that JOJO posted to that thread as a guest. Nice memories there.
                              I had to search for it. You must admit, it is a classic. If there is a next time, I will make it brutally apparent it is a joke! :roll:
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X