No rear brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No rear brakes

Ok, I have to admit that I don't know squat about wrenching bikes. However, I thought I could replace the rear brake pedal without damage. So, I thought wrong. I just replaced the pedal on our 81 GS450L and now I have no rear brakes. It just moves up & down pretty freely, no brake lights, nothing. I cant see anything that I forgot. What am I missing?
    Thanks

Did you have brakes before you began? If so, alot of times I have had to push the brake rod in a little bit (push by the rear wheel, and push it in the direction of the front of the bike) because It needs a bit of tension or else it will just flop around. Also check the adjustment screw by the rear brake.

Comment

I did have brakes before my repair job! I will try pushing the brake rod in a little. Another question. I only have brake lights when I use the rear brakes (that is, when they work). Is this normal?

Comment

Woo hoo, I did it. It seems that I just needed to put some tension on the brake rod, thanks Superfly. I guess I should have paid more attention when taking it off.

Comment

Your brakes lights should come on when the front brake is lever is pulled in. There are wires coming from the front brake lever that plug into the wiring harness, check that connection (usually by the headlight bucket) for your front brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly
            Your brakes lights should come on when the front brake is lever is pulled in. There are wires coming from the front brake lever that plug into the wiring harness, check that connection (usually by the headlight bucket) for your front brakes.
            Also the switch plate on the lever assembly itself is a problem area. The adjustment could be off or it could be corrodded. This assembly has very small parts and a spring that can be easily lost, so be careful if you take this apart.

Comment

Working...
            X