Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

instrument replacement

Hi

I bought an instrument cluster from Ebay and I want to swap my speedometer into the new cluster (I want to keep odometer true and the speed in KPH, not MPH). I was wondering if anyone has swapped out either of the instruments and, if so, how difficult the job was.

As well, is there some instrument-grade oil/cleaner I could/should use on the instruments while I have them apart?

Thanks,

Patrick

Pat
    I have had the intrument cluster open on my 1100ed and it looked as though a couple of screws was holding the instruments in place and nothing more complicated that that--some of the guys have often said that the little lamps were the pain to remove. I never did either though

Comment

instruments

Hi Scotty

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have checked the manual but was afraid it was going to be an infernal chore to swap the speedometer over.

Do you recall anyone talking about using a cleaner or lubricant on the instruments? I will do a search on the postings when I get back home later this evening.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Comment

Pat
        I REMEMBER SOMEONE TALKING ABOUT A MAGNETIC COUPLING FOR THE TACH DRIVE--FROM WHAT I RECALL ON MY 110E THE TACH AND SPEEDO SEEMED TO BE ENCLOSED IN A CASING BBT I GUESS IF THE GLASS EVER BROKE THEY MUST COME APART--I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO USE AS LUBE--I WOULD BE TEMPTED TO BUY ONE OF THOSE MACHINE OIL BOTTLES WITH THE LONG SNOUT AND TOUCH SOME OF THE POINTS--but the good thing about this website is that someone has alredy done it and will soon give us both the correct answer.

Comment

I would talk to someone who repairs speedometer before you cut it apart, thats pretty drastic way to get it appart

Comment

Sqdancer

I have no plan to cut it apart. I read in an earlier post that someone was going to do this but could not believe that was necessary.

I reckon I will take it apart as Scotty described (with a screwdriver).

Thanks for the input. I can let you folks know how it turns out once UPS delivers the instruments this week.

Patrick

Comment

The only way to get into the instruments on my '83 XN85 is by removing the metal bezel surrounding the glass. This thing is formed around the glass and plastic housing and pinches the two together. The glass on mine was broken so I figured I'd try to fix it myself. I used a small screwdriver and gently bent the bezel, in several places all along the perimeter of the back side, until the housing had enough clearance to pop out. The metal for this thing is very thin and somewhat brittle so I had to work very slow and carefully to keep it from splitting. I was able to get it apart and back together in one piece, had a glass shop make a new lense and saved myself a bunch of money.
              Axel

Comment

instruments

Hi Axel

I checked my bike's service manual and the instruments come apart with a screwdriver as Scotty said for his (newer) bike. I am relieved that I do not have to get in the hard way as you have to.

Have you ever cleaned/lubricated bike instruments? I was wondering what product to use, if any.

Thanks,

Patrick

Comment

Never had to clean or lube them. Mine were sealed pretty well and never got dirty.
                  Axel

Comment

Working...
                  X