Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get my fork seals out?

Hi all.
    I've got a 1980 GSX 400 with bad fork seals.

I've managed to dissasemble the left fork fine, but the fork oil seal
    that needs replacing is stuch fast into the lower part of the fork leg.

Anyone know any neat trickt to persuade it out?

I've tried heating the local area of the leg in boiling water, but that hasn't helped. The rubber on the seal is pretty far gone and has mostly crumbled and pealed away in my attempts to lever the seal out.
    The metal frame inside the seal is however remaining stubournly inside the leg.

I have used a spanner to great success. Find one that grips the height of the seal, and try prying it out with that. You do not want to use a screw driver for this, it WILL scratch the tube. Also it's a good thing if the spanner is a bit worn and round around the edges - less chance to scratch anything.

Comment

you gotta pry like you've never pryed before. Keep going around the circle, and eventually that thing will pop off and go flying. I just did it yesterday 8)

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I'll look at my old tools for something suitable and pry to god almighty.
        Looks like I have a fun evening ahead of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Phil
          Thanks for the tips.

I'll look at my old tools for something suitable and pry to god almighty.
          Looks like I have a fun evening ahead of me.
          i used a big screwdriver. i felt like i was going to break it (lifetime warranty!) but it held

Comment

They make big pry bars with Plactic handles on one end and wide flat angled end on the other for tightening belts etc. I bought a set of three at O'Rielly's for about 7 or 8 dollars. The wide flat beveled end is just perfect for popping those suckers out with a minimum of effort.

Comment

I have drilled a small hole straight down into the top metal part of the seal (be careful not to scratch the fork) then used a an ice pick with curved end in the hole to pry it out.

Comment

I took mine off the bike and took the lowers to the local Suzuki dealer. He took them in the back and about 5 minutes later they were done. $5 and no damage or special tools needed for me. I didn't want to take the chance of screwing them up and they have the puller for the job. It was worth it.

Comment

I got it out!!
                  I used a crowbar and a toilet roll tube as padding.

I ended up sitting on the lower part of the tube and pulling on the bar until out poped the seal and I fell over backwards.
                  No scratching on the tube either

I'll do the other one tonight once I have someone to hold things in place while I unscrew the alan bolt and end cap.

*Fingers crossed*

Comment

Working...
                  X