Suitable Fairings to fit the 1981 GS 1000 G SHAFT DRIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable Fairings to fit the 1981 GS 1000 G SHAFT DRIVE

I am trying to refurbish a 1981 GS 1000 G SHAFT-DRIVE and I am having a difficult time finding info on the old girl.

We (the missus and me) have owned this particular machine for several years during which time she has given us a great deal of fun and also carried my 300lb butt to and from work every day that I could feasibly take her.

We are trying to find out at this point in time if the fairing from the 1982 GS 1100 GK will fit the old girl as we are trying to not only refurbish her ,but also to try and make her more functional,ie; pockets,somewhere to mount a c.b. and a radio/cassette-speakers etc.

We are planning on doing a lot more riding and touring now that we are in the situation of not having our kids at home anymore and have more time to ourselves these days.

So to that end can anybody out there please point us in the right direction,any info we can gleen from your newly discovered site (discovered after god knows how many hours on the net) and I am hoping that my fellow GS riders can help.

Now! as for the reason that I have kept the old girl for all these years instead of updating to something more modern! WHY? I love the way she performs , I love the way she does everything in general and I have seen mates (new) bikes on the side of the road while I am having NO trouble with my old girl. What can I say , she has been a great bike for a lot of years and I would not part with her for all the flamin rice in china.

I think that even if I was to come into a great deal of money I would do no more than re-build her from the ground up and bring her up to the standard that I think she deserves, and now that my wife has FINALLY decided to get her own bike licence, I am now looking for a small bike that she can learn to ride on ,but in the future I will find a mid range GS model for her to be able to tour with me (the gs 550 comes to mind) when I deem that she has the experience to handle a decent sized machine.
    And NO, for the minds of our female riders out there, I am not wanting to control her, I just do not want to lose her to an accident just because Tiny(my wife) or I pushed too hard in relation to her having a bike that could keep up with the Big Fella ,(25 years is a long time to lose).

She is only a little lady and I would also appreciate any feedback in relation to a suitable sized machine that may even take in the capabilities of training and weekend fun runs/touring. Please allow for the fact that she is only 45kgs(100lbs) and 5 feet tall or thereabouts.(I am 6 feet and 300 lbs, it looks really funny sometimes when I give a hug as she damn near dissappears).
    Anyway, enough chit-chat ,I will leave you now to continue your browsing with this thought, look after your bike and your lady ,and they will look after you , and for gods sake STAY UPRIGHT AND RIDE WELL.

Thank you for your time. The Horse and Tiny. see ya.

message ends. friday 2 sept 2005. 1815 hrs. east coast time.sydney .australia.

Re: Suitable Fairings to fit the 1981 GS 1000 G SHAFT DRIVE

Originally posted by steve56
    She is only a little lady and I would also appreciate any feedback in relation to a suitable sized machine that may even take in the capabilities of training and weekend fun runs/touring. Please allow for the fact that she is only 45kgs(100lbs) and 5 feet tall or thereabouts
    Hey Steve.....ah I got the same problem....wife is 4'10" and its been a
    real problem finding a older bike she can touch ground on. About the
    only bike that fits her is the 250 rebel (honda) but too small for highway.
    She also fits the newer 800 Intruders so I may pick one up if I find one
    at a great (cheap) price. Good luck to you and welcome to the forum 8)

Comment

The GK fairing should fit, but I don't know if the mounting bracket has to be adapted. How about a Vetter windjammer?

Comment

I would put a Vetter farring on it, parts are available on ebay & from www.CraigVetter.com
        You could fit the GK on I think you may need to make/ modify your own brackets Parts may ??? be hard to find

Comment

i have a vetter mount on my gs1000gt 1980
          i am working on the bike and can take it off and make some photos with a scale
          if you're up to fabricating your own mount this will give you an idea of what the original looks like

there is a MC salvage guy about 20 miles from here who has a number of vetter windjammers. he does not have the windscreens or lowers. the fairings look to be n pretty good shap otherwise. he gets $60 for them. i am heading by there next week to check on a set of vm29's that i think i spied through the fence. i can do a scout for you if ou like.

-Bob
          in atlanta

Comment

- - GS1000G Fairing:
            My 80 GS850G had a Windjammer fairing on it when I got it. If you find something like that, the fairing itself is fairly standard, its the mouinting bracketry that is specific to the particular bike model.

- - GK fairing.
            GKs are hard to find.

- - bike for short leg person.
            Honda Shadow VLX have seat heighth of about 25-26 inches. So seat heighth is about same as Rebel. But VLX is 600cc V-Twin water cooled.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
            X