Crankcase breather smoking, and a question on my speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase breather smoking, and a question on my speedo

Hey guys.. long time no talk.. anyway. here is some info..
    1982 GS1100GLZ New oil, Battery. all electronics work! Have Pod filters no airbox..crank breather going now to a filter.. stock exhaust, slight oil leak at the valve cover. but not bad...tranny good and everything else is good... well
    here is the situation.....
    My bike runs okay..But when i am riding for more than 10-15 mins.. my breather filter (not going to the air box, so i have a little K&N filter on it) STARTS TO SMOKE! I mean its like SMOKING... not a burned smell just a oil being hot smell.. Kinda like when you take the oil cap off from your car after running for a while, and you see smoke comming out..It seems that my engine is running pretty hot (i really do not know how hot it supposed to get since its a air cooled motor)..... I also had a problem with acceleration after 4 to 5 grand.. it starts to BOGG and then it will catch up to speed....
    So i read some posts and did some research and read some more posts and noticed that my vent tubes are long. I read that there is a vortex that is created in my carbs and will make my carbs run lean if the tubes are long.
    So i got rid of that. (it seemed like it did not help) also.. i thought since i have pod filters maybe my bike is running TOO lean and thats why its bogging.. and thats why my engine is running to hot... and because my engine is running to hot then thats why its smoking from my breather filter...
    So then i changed my Jets.. The orginal (the one that was in there) jets are 115... i changed it to a 125..(rule of thumb i heard is whatever you change, pod filters,exahust, etc you have to jump 2 jet sizes for each change..)
    Ever since i put the 125 jets in there... MY BIKE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT! Its amazing.. i never knew how powerful my bike was untill now. The bogging is gone totally! ... BUT... My breather filter still smokes and i think my engine is still running hot... Should i jump a higher size jets..?

I know this was very long winded.. forgive me..i thought it would be good to let you all know what i have done so far!

So again.. MY Crank Breather filter is smoking and i THINK my engine is running hot....

does anyone have an idea what this could be?

I also have another problem not related to this one... its about my speedo..my speedo does not work because, for some reason my speedo on the front axle spins 180 degrees clockwise and my speedo cable ends up breaking.. I tried tightening the axle nut some more to keep it in place.. it works for a little bit then the speedo spins again.. i was wondering if anyone had this problem or is there a part thats missing from my speedo like a washer or somthing to keep it from moving... THe speedo will work if its in the right position.. i just do know know if i am missing a washer or a part....

THank you guys for listening! Hope you guys are not mad at me it being such a long explanation for my problems... Let me know what you tthink please post back or email me at Maluman@gmail.com
    thank you
    George J

my crankcase breathers smoke as well, i think it might be normal but am no expert.

Comment

The smoke is probably slightly worn ring's, nothing to worry about if your compression is still good.
      If you have not yet raised the needles in your carb's then that's the next thing on the list.
      The needle effects most of the mid range mix, so I would say you would be still running a bit lean in that area.

Comment

How would i be able to raise the needles.. I know that i changed the jets to 125 and now that bike is amazing at all rpm ranges... But if you think my bike is still leaning out because of the needles.. how do i adjust them..
        How about the eninge running hot.. Can somone ride there bike some time and give me a temperature reading on your motor with a IR thermometer??? this way i can compare your results to mine!.......also..

does anyone have an idea of the speedo situation..

thanks everyone for there answers...!!!!!!!

thank you
        George

Comment

You need to get a read on your plugs before you do any more jet work. That is the only way to know if you are runnning lean. I wouldn't change anything until that is done using the throttle chop method. You can find out how about it by doing a search here.

Comment

Yes certainly do plug chop's to find out if the mix is good .
            But if the pod filters are free flowing( eg K&N )lifting your needle by one notch is standard practice with stock muffler's.
            This is very easy to do, I will presume you have CV carb's.
            Take the top cover off the carb, carefully lift out the diaphram & slider, that long thin metal bar is the needle, you will need long nose circlip pliers to get it out.
            Now if your lucky you have an adjustable needle in that it will have 5 position's to choose where the little clip goes, centre groove is standard,you should have the clip on the next groove down.
            If you have one of the American model's that is not adjustable do a search on this site ,you can get spacer's that are meant for these needle's there was a discussion a few week's ago.
            If those filter's are flowing enough air to make you fit larger main jet's, it goes without saying that the needle's will have to be lifted a bit.
            The midrange mix on these bikes was just a pinch on the side of lean when new, so this is what I would do.

Comment

Working...
            X