gs 450 L Idleing (spelling?) high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 450 L Idleing (spelling?) high

After my 81 gs450 has been running a while it starts idling at 2000 rpm ? when its a little cooler it idles almost exactly as fast as the book says it should. I will never touch a carberuetor (spelling) because you can touch them the wrong way and open up a can of worms. Just wondering if anybody suggests I take a phillips head and turn the idle down a hair ? any ideas or suggestions ? the bike has 10000 miles on it but less on the rebuilt engine. I figure its better to nip it at the bud.

Most likely an intake leak. Either the manifolds or the o-rings in the manifolds, if your model uses o-rings.
    First try tightening the manifold clamps. Just tight, not as hard as you can. Be sure the carbs are all the way into the manifolds too.
    If the problem is still there, you can warm up the bike first and then spray a fine mist of water all over the manifolds and listen for an rpm drop. If it drops, you've found the leak. However, this test doesn't always expose the leak. Check the rubber manifolds visually for any cracking/hardness. They should be reasonably supple. If your model uses o-rings inside the manifolds, you'll have to remove the manifolds to get to the o-rings. The manifold screws can be tight and require a very good fitting bit. I use an impact driver.
    Apply a coat of hi-temp grease to the new o-rings, replace the stock Phillips screws with Allens and torque the manifolds to about 6 ft/lb or what your manual says.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Your Bike looks Great !

Great !

Comment

Idling at 1100

I turned some screw with a locknut on it downnn and it starteed idling at 1100. book says 1100- 1300 so thats good . kinda bold for my imperfect bike to idle that low but HEY. I think theres a little top end noise but I think it was just a little low on oil.

Comment

The screw with the locknut is to adjust the sycronization of your carbs. It likely will not run well if you adjusted that without having a sync tool hooked up to it. I agree with Keith, you likely either have the idle adjusted up too high on the throttle stop screw (you may just need to use the choke and wait for it to warm up some to idle correctly) or you have an intake leak.

Comment

Thanks !

Thanks!

Comment

YEAH

I ENDED UP Replacing that engine because I didn't take care of it. But I had a gs 450cc replacement engine with only 9000 miles on it installed and tuned up. But as soon as I left the dealership it was idleing high as crap so I took it back up the mechanic and he dropped the idle with A knob and he showed me to do it if I wanted to change the idle. But what I'm getting at is that in the tune up process he reset ,so to speak, my locknut screw that you say is my synchronization... so where all good there with my replacement engine in. No more tapping . The idle will stick up until I tach it up then it'll settle right down. not good to have to do that but maybe it just needs to be oopened up on the interstate 8) . I'll be sure to check my oil from regularly now that's for sure . What do you think the sticky idle is from. When i got the bike the bike and I layed down in a controlled manner on my patio and It was after that that I noticed it idling high. Wonder if shook something up in my carbs after that I adjusted the screw and locknut on the carbs but that synchronization ain't a worry any more cuz the mechanic reset it as I mentioned.

Comment

I think your throttle cable on your handlebars got hit when you placed it down on the patio. You should be able to move the throttle a tiny bit before the cable tightens up and moves the carb plates.

Make sure you have a little slack (1/8") in that throttle cable.

Riding a bike with a throttle cable that is not properly adjusted is dangerous! it needs to be able to idle down properly, especially if you have to suddenly stop the bike. Sticky cables can lead to runaway engines.
                Fix this before you "open her up on the interstate" please
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Yeah

right on. that wouldn't surprise me. But I just got it tuned up at the mechanic and you would think they would fix that. Maybe I kinked the cable and now its how to move inside it's cover. Like a snake eating a mouse or something . getting caught up. Maybe I can handle replacing it with a little help from you . Are you a mechanic ?? could you walk me throught it? I have to replace my tach cable and tach anyway that would be a good warm up for the BIG GAME. My engine has a runaway idle yeah but my manual say s to leave it in gear at stop lights so my clutch is gonna be sat on while im stopped but my manual also says to down shift and I know what youre talking about whille im down shifting my bike doesn't engine brake enough with the idle goin like that. Thanks I don't think it's the safest thing but it's always there to remind me. 8O

Comment

first determine if it is bad and then get another cable. I find the easiest way to route a new throttle cable is to tie the old one and new one together and pull the new one through. This way it goes the same path as the old one.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

okay

I just look for an 1/8 inch of slack.

Comment

Working...
                      X