Low RPM engine knock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low RPM engine knock question

Well, I finally got everything legal, tagged, and inspected, and just took it out for about 50 miles or so. But, I have a bit of a knock at low RMP when the engine is first loaded. At first I thought I was lugging the engine too much, but anything under around 3k (especially first) sounds bad. Oil is good, just changed last week. Anyway, I'm brand new to these bikes (by about 50 miles!), so anyone have ideas?

First place to look is the clutch!!!
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

In what regard?

Comment

You can often get a bit of clutch rattle on these bikes, if that's what it is then it's nothing to worry about.
        Make shure your carbs are balanced, if they are not it can create the same sort of condition.

Comment

I might try a tank of 91 octane first to see if that helps. If not in addition to carb syncing, the ignition timing, both normal and advanced, would be another area to check. Search for Keith Krause posts. He will recommend checking the timing and valve clearances before doing any fine tuning on the carbs.

Comment

Can you hear the knock when you twist the throttle from idle in neutral? If so, pull the spark plug caps one at a time to see if the noise goes away. Note which plug caused the change - something is going on with that piston/rod.

Comment

Working...
            X