removing carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing carbs

Well, I have come to the conclusion of having to take my carbs off my 83 GS1100E to have them clean 8O . I can have them done at a shop in town for $35.00. That will include an acid bath and new o-rings. Not the same place as the 4 month stay . Now my big problem is getting the carb assembly off the bike .
    OK, I've taken the air filter housing off, the gas tank,loosened all the manifold screws for the boots!!!Now where do I go? I have a factory manual and have tried "rocking" the carbs away from the boots,but not to much avail :x .The airbox is still attached. Now I've done a search and saw differing ideas of wd-40 to soften the boots.
    Any ideas???PLEASE!!!!! :x 8O
    Doug
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Now that you have loosened the manifold boot screws, make sure that you are able to move the clamps themselves, also. alot of times, when you loosen the screws, the boots are still stuck on the carbs, and won't come off. Just make sure the clamps will rotate around after loosening them, and wiggle the carbs alittle, and should come off without incident.

Comment

Hmm, i have never loosened the boot bolts when removing the carbs. I simple loosen the clamps holding the carb exhaust to the boot and rock-n-remove, leaving the boots on the head.

I have a GS1100E, 1983. I will admit it took quite a bit of effort to remove them. You have to push that airbox all the way back, and when you rock the carbs, you sort of use the holes in the airbox. Push the carbs back into the airbox to get them out of the boots. Then, since the airbox is loose, you can angle the carbs downward (did you remember to drain the bowls? You'll find out at this point if you didn't) and pusht he carbs out of the airbox once again toward the cam chain tensioner.

Comment

I really don't know too much about the GS1100E, but on my GK, I removed the airbox completely first, then removed the carbs.

Comment

Thanks for the help Peter and Tim.
          Peter, it took me a while , and after finally removing the ignitor box over the carbs. That part is done with :P . I took the carbs into a local shop today to have them cleaned :P ,inspected 8) and rejetted to stock. :twisted:
          NOW my next question is: How hard is it to get them back in? :roll:
          Thanks, Doug
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Getting them in is easy. Just make sure you seat them all the way back in! and don't forget to get them resynched

Comment

Make sure that you change the intake boot O rings while it is appart

Comment

Working...
              X