GS450 petcock - carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 petcock - carbs

This is regarding the '80 (T) reconsruction I've posted about earlier. It's really coming together...But.

Still need new petcock. With an external fuel feed she runs very smoothly at idle and low rev.

However, fuel pours through and out of the right carb "vent pipe" the rubber tube that vents the carb.

???
    Help.

Also: How is Bel-Ray EXP semi-synthetic (motorcycle oil) SAE 10W-40 for a full oil change?

A quick snapshot of her current state. Getting ready to roll her out!

Last week:

You'd probably do well to check your floats. They could be sticking or be cracked or the float needle is bad. Someone else around here recently had a similar issue, but I think it turned out to be something else... See if anything in that post helps (search).

Comment

You just need to pick up a petcock rebuild kit from Cycle Re-Cycle and rebuild the petcock. I just did this on my "under construction" 450L. The diaphragm is likely checking/cracked. If you pull the petcock and disassemble, you'll likely find this to be the case. If it's fouling the #2 plug on these 2 cylinder GS's, I'd always suspect the petcock . . . .this learned from recent experience with 2 of them!

Comment

By the way, from the pics, yours looks to be an L.

Comment

Originally posted by ccratin
          You just need to pick up a petcock rebuild kit from Cycle Re-Cycle and rebuild the petcock. I just did this on my "under construction" 450L. The diaphragm is likely checking/cracked. If you pull the petcock and disassemble, you'll likely find this to be the case. If it's fouling the #2 plug on these 2 cylinder GS's, I'd always suspect the petcock . . . .this learned from recent experience with 2 of them!
          Well both my floats were shot (of course they didn't show at the same time), and gas spewing from the vents was my trigger.
          The diaphram is easy to check. Just pop off the intake gas line and see if it leaks gas. Gas should only come out when vacuum is applied.

BTW the S did have a bad petcock diaphram and it never leaked from the vents... it went straight to the crankcase Not sure if that is usual, but that has been my experience.

Comment

petcock rebuild

You guys are great.

Found what I think is the rebuilt kit, (cycle-re-cycle) though not listed specifically for my bike, their part# 4354 looks exactly like the ring, 5 hole seal and diaphragm in mine. It is the three position: res-on-pri type with a vacuum line.

That it, ya think?

shanzi

mmmm, yes an L

Comment

Catalogue

On the bike

Here she is today: 9/6/05

Comment

So that one worked out for ya? Coolness. I had the shop I bought the petcock that didn't have the nozzles in the right direction swap the diaphram for me.

I'll do it myself next time. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                X