Welding engine cases- Update-Carnage Picts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding engine cases- Update-Carnage Picts

I just bought a 83 1100E that turned out to have some damage in the engine case. It's mising a quarter size chunk from the lower case directly behind the crank on the far left side.

It also broke a small piece off the upper case towards the front where the cyl liner slides in.

I know it would be better to replace the case, but can this case material be welded? I have a friend who can TIG weld alum if it can. Anyone know?

Any good place to look for cases for less than $350?

weld

Yes it can be welded, place the old pieces back in place and tack weld it in a couple of places, then take a grinder like a dremal and make a V- shaped groove along the 2 parts to be welded, this allows you to build the weld up and have full penatration, if its a large piece you may have to do a back weld method that will help to prevent warpage do to heat build up, your friend should know how to do that, only ground right next to where your welding NOT on something like the crank end or sprocket shaft you will ruin the bearings

Comment

This link takes you to a site that sells a product called STS-2000. There are other similar products, the most well known being "Alumaloy," which claim to be able to repair aluminum with a standard torch, and also claim to be able to create repairs in situations where TIG won't work. The STS-2000 claims to be a new second generation version that is even better and, more importantly, MUCH easier to work with.

There is an online video that shows a number of impressive repair jobs, as well as many testimonials worth reading. The video will NOT work in Firefox, but works fine using Internet Explorer.

It sounds to me like this might be your best bet.

Good Luck!
      Steve 8)

Comment

Too bad I don't have the pieces They got all blended up.

Comment

Originally posted by racerx70
          In that case you will want only the finest duct tape. Don't scrimp.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

That's the cool thing about products like HTS-2000 ... you can use it to recreate many different kinds of parts, including the broken or missing pieces of your case.

If you haven't already checked out the video, do so ... you'll be amazed and impressed at what's possible!

Good Luck,
            Steve 8)

Comment

What do you suppose got it? I can't find any pieces in it. Rod turns smooth on the crank...

Why my links don't work

Comment

What do you suppose got it? I can't find any pieces in it. Rod turns smooth on the crank...

Why my links don't work
                you have to be a member to see those pictures so the links wont work.
                www.photobucket.com is a good free place to put them for linking to.

Comment

Working...
                X