is my chain good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is my chain good?

it is adjusted within spec....on the top of the rear sproket the chain is tight and the bottom too, now the 3oclock position there is slack i`d say about 10mm of slack, does this sound ok?...its a non o-ring chain and is quite noisy but looks to be in good shape, is the slack and noise ok?

Re: is my chain good?

Originally posted by rick romero
    it is adjusted within spec....on the top of the rear sproket the chain is tight and the bottom too, now the 3oclock position there is slack i`d say about 10mm of slack, does this sound ok?...its a non o-ring chain and is quite noisy but looks to be in good shape, is the slack and noise ok?
    Rick from what i understand, that condition is a sign of a worn out chain. Nice moustache Rick

Comment

better safe than sorry! i will have to save up for chain and sprokets....scotty did you buy your avatar from the roadside velvet picture van guy?????

Comment

One of the easiest ways I found to check a chain is to take it off and lay it on the garage floor with the rollers facing up.Take the 2 ends and try to pull the ends in.If it bows right in it's pretty much worn out. Note: a new chain will arc slightly but it shouldn't be curving in 4,5,6 inches or more.Another way would be to pull straight on it link to link. There should be little movement or a new chain has none.Hows the sprockets? New ones have an even 'u' shape between teeth.Theside with the torque will wear in and start making the'u' into an egg shape. Some people flip rear sprockets around to double the life so to speak. I don't myself.

Jon Kram

81 GS750EX and proud of it!!

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
          better safe than sorry! i will have to save up for chain and sprokets....scotty did you buy your avatar from the roadside velvet picture van guy?????
          Ill have to do aomething about that Rick You are correct --i was just into dragons because of the new decal i just put on my side cover

Comment

Working...
          X