Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big pool of oil under my GS1000G, where's it coming from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big pool of oil under my GS1000G, where's it coming from?

Well I bought a junker (fixer-upper) GS1000G on Saturday, filled the "final drive" and "differential" as they were both dry, (no oil at all, but no obvious leaks either) took it for a ride, and it rode really nice.

Anyway, got up Sunday morning, wandered out to the garage and noticed a pool about a foot in dia, of nice fresh oil under the transmission! Urrgghhh! Where's it coming from? Is it a gasket or a seal?

I'm a "Shaftie Virgin" and know very little about these bikes? Is it an "engine out, total stripdown"? Did I just overfill it? How much oil should the final drive and diff reservoirs hold?

I'm waiting on a workshop manual at the moment, so any help from the collective genius of the resident shaftie experts will be warmly received! Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

My friend I would say that's why the drive was empty,wait until you get the manual( I'm one of those wierdo's that read instruction's first)You have a blown seal, my bet is not a hard fix.Where about's in Vic are you anyway!

Comment

It could be the seals. It could also be that the level-check screw is missing!

If its the seals, you'd probably see where, no?

take the tranny cover off, and look above the shifter for it. could be why it was dry in the 1st place!

poot

Comment

Thanks Guys, I think I must have (well I definately did) overfilled it, i found the oil level screw and even after dropping a sizeable pool theres still plenty there.

It could have been the alternator though, when I took the cover off last night (replaced it with a better one I had in a box) I discovered that the PO had left the gasket out, and just used a splotch of silastic instead! Anyway, it's getting better every day. Here's a couple of pics from last weekend. Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by gspaul
          My friend I would say that's why the drive was empty,wait until you get the manual( I'm one of those wierdo's that read instruction's first)You have a blown seal, my bet is not a hard fix.Where about's in Vic are you anyway!
          G'Day Paul, I'm in Mill Park! Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Bike looks good Terry!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X