GS1100E Swingarm Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E Swingarm Bearings

OK guys, I really did it this time. I have my 1100 torn apart to do some maintenance, cleaning and to get ready for the Octoberfest Ride in the Texas Hill Country. I am replacing the rear tire and decided to pull the swingarm and check the bearing since I had the tire off already.

Well, I got it off and the bearings looked good ! So at this point I am a happy camper and decided to remove the bearing, repack them and put them back in (being the anal retentive kind of guy that I am).

Of course I have destroyed the first bearing that I am trying to get out . I am no longer happy :x . It is a Sunday and no bearing houses or motorcycle shops are open so I do not know the availability of these bearings 8O . I need to get some replacements so I can go to the ride which I have been looking forward to for over a month !

Here is the technical data:

Bearing # : TA2530Z
    Manufacturer: IKO (owned by NSK Bearings, it is the needle bearing division)
    Additional Numbers: G6

My questions are does anyone have a bearing cross-reference in case I can't find a set at the local bearing houses or at the motorcycle dealer? Also, do the bearings from a GSXR fit (I hear the swingarms bolt up)? Does any one have a spare set lying around the kitchen?

HELP!!!

Hap :x :x :x :x :x
    Dumbass extraordinaire

It appears that the Yahama FJ1100/1200 uses the same bearings:

At least I will not be solely dependent on the local Suzuki parts rapist, I mean parts dealer, to get them.

Hap

Comment

i couldnt find a clue--how did you come up with that Hap

Comment

My GS-Gk parts CD shows it as a part Number 09265-17012. It seems expensive for a bearing, though, just comes out as a RT 17X40X15.25 whatever that is, for $25.53 at ron Ayers

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
          i couldnt find a clue--how did you come up with that Hap
          Are you talking about the FJ1100 site info? I typed in the bearing number in Google and that site popped up on the list.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
            My GS-Gk parts CD shows it as a part Number 09265-17012. It seems expensive for a bearing, though, just comes out as a RT 17X40X15.25 whatever that is, for $25.53 at ron Ayers
            Bike Bandit files say the part number is 09263-25024 which is the same for the GSXR1100 up to 1998. I believe the 17X40X15.25 is the dimensions of the bearing in millimeters.

Here is the GS1100EX drawing:

Here is the 1998 GSXR1100W drawing:

Hap

Comment

Update on the bearing - I called Motion Industries and gave them the bearing number and the guy said "That's strange..."! Not a good sign. He said that it was a good bearing number but he did not show a price or stocking quantity. This is looking bad...

Hap

UPDATE

Got word back from Motion Industries - $7.21 a bearing and there are 52 of them in stock! They have to be shipped in from their warehouse but that will give me plenty of time to make the ride! Beats the hell out of $25.53 at Ron Ayers!

Thanks for the help and research guys!

Hap

Comment

Hap, what did you end up buying, bearings for a 1100E or 1100G?

bill

Comment

Originally posted by billp
                  Hap, what did you end up buying, bearings for a 1100E or 1100G?

bill
                  I got the ones for a GS1100EX. While I got the wheels off I went ahead and wrote down the bearing numbers for both wheels. A set of wheel bearings from the local bearing house costs 25% of what that cost at the dealer and they will have them in stock!

Anybody what this data, let me know!

Hap

Comment

Bearing ID and Sizing

Hap,
                    Straight from the horse's mouth (my parts guy), bearings are listed this way NORMALLY, IDXODXdepth/width. So your bearing should measure 17mm ID X 40mmOD X 15.25Depth. In english this is about
                    .669"ID X 1.575"OD X .600" depth. Make sense? Bob

Comment

Luckily I have not replaced any of my bearings for..hmmm...20 years!! Think I will leave well enough alone after this experince!! A bit of grease perhaps to help them along...

Comment

Re: Bearing ID and Sizing

Originally posted by cabinover
                        Hap,
                        Straight from the horse's mouth (my parts guy), bearings are listed this way NORMALLY, IDXODXdepth/width. So your bearing should measure 17mm ID X 40mmOD X 15.25Depth. In english this is about
                        .669"ID X 1.575"OD X .600" depth. Make sense? Bob
                        Hey Bob,
                        I put a micrometer on them and they measure 25X33X30, which corresponds to a website that listed the TA2530Z by IKO Bearings (which was what was on the bearing race)...my bearing does not come close to the 17X40X15.25 that you mentioned. I wonder how your parts guy came up with those numbers? The delta between the ID and the OD is 23mm...those are some good size needle bearings!

Hap

Comment

UPDATE

OK, Motion has them but they have a $50 minimum order for them 8O . I am going to buy them from Motion and any one that needs some bearings let me know...they can have them for what I paid plus shipping!

They are $24.95 at the local dealer each.

Just got off the phone with Motion Industries, I have 7 bearings ordered so that makes 5 extra bearings...

Hap

Comment

Hap,
                            That set of numbers was another poster's numbers in this thread. I guess they were stuck in my head when I wrote that. You are right though, those bearings at that measurement should NEVER wear out Bob

Comment

Hap,
                              Do you know if the ones you got will fit an 82 1100E?
                              I checked and the numbers on BikeBandit aren't the same.

??Well maybe the numbers are the same the 82 fiche is in pretty bad shape??

You have any idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X