Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When a clutch goes, how fast does it go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When a clutch goes, how fast does it go?

I have had the same clutch for a looooong time. I just noticed something that feels like slight slight slip and grab under hard acceleration in 4th or 5th gear. It also grabs when the clutch is released pretty close to all the way out. Also I put stiffer springs in a year or 2 ago. At the time I put the new springs in I measured the disk thickness and they were above spec but I don't know how thick a new disk is for comparison.

So anyway I know the clutch is probably on the way out but once it starts to slip will it slip bad quickly or will I have some time? I plan on going on a 600 mile or so trip in 9 days and expect to be at full throttle quite a bit.

I just ordered a replacement clutch and will probably install it before the trip.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Mine will probably need replacing within the next year too! almost 40K Change it before your trip It only takes about an hour. Make sure to soak the plates in oil for 4-5 hours before installing them. Make sure to use correct type of oil

Comment

If your clutch is grabbing near the top, there is a chance that it could be slipping because it is out of adjustment.

Comment

It is grabbing when it is just about all the way out and I have slack in the cable. I am not aware of any other adjustment except for slack in the cable.

If I recall correctly I think this clutch was put in in the late 80's.
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

its time

your due for a new one, do be fore you go then when you get back pull your pan and get all of the old and new (break-in) clutch material out of the pan, I pull my pan every 10k, you will be amazed at the crap in there

Comment

Working...
          X