How to know the correct country code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to know the correct country code?

As I understand all GS have a country code for the 1984 model I know that there are at least two different engines, that Australia for some reason has 18 inch rear wheel instead of 17", the US-models have 23W turn signals and Europen have 21W, miles/h and km/h meters and so on.

How can you find out what country code the bike has?

I have a plastic sticker glued on the frame saying "F42", and Type GV71C written on the metal plate on the frame.

But the metal plate on the frame, the one the frame number is on, also have two fieldes E. no and a F. No and they are blank.

As I understand the country codes should start with E "something".

I remeber the rim discussion at the old forum and I think Dink directley knew his country code and that he should have 18" rear wheel.

Not certain, but this might help. Typical frame number for a U.S. '84 GS1150ESE is JS1GV71A E 100001.
    JS1: Don't know what it means but all street legal Suzuki's in U.S. from '81 -'90 use this prefix.
    GV71A: this number describes it as being a GS1150. The "A" at the end has something to do with it's model. Most standard or sport bikes have the "A". If it had a shaft drive you would see a "G" in this spot. If it was a cruiser style model there would be an "L".
    E: This is the federal year designation. In the U.S. an "E" means 1984, F means 1985 and so on.

Hope this helps,
    Axel

Comment

My GSX1100EF/1150 is from Australia it has the 18" rear wheel.
      Frame # is GV71A-10XXXX (which is similar to the USA #'s but without the JS1 or the E)
      It has me confused as it is definitely named as GSX1100EFE as in the british naming, but the british frame # start with GV71B-10XXXX.
      Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

I would like to sort this out for the GSX1100/GS1150 1984 - 86

So far I know:

Australia E-24

The reduced 100 hp version Austria, West Germany, Switzerland and Sweden have the codes E17, 18, 22 and 39 but I don't know which codes goes for which of the four countries.

A guess is that 22 is West Germany because the wiring diagram is in German, but you never know, they speak german in Austria and Switzerland to.....

The Mikuni 00A30 is for the country codes:

E-01,06,24 and 28.

Please let me know if you have some additional info.

Comment

I had a look at my 84 efe Canadian model. On the frame it says E 21, I thought it was a E28. This is the wiring diagram I have used since I bought the bike . I think I have the same service manual as you do Karl. This has the 17" rear wheel.

Gerry

Comment

Gerry,

I have the Suzuki GSX1100, GS1150 Service Manual, green front page.

According to this manual only the countries E-01,06,24 and 28 should have carbs version 00A30, and you have 00A30, so it sure is confusing....

Do you have the air fork described for "only Canada"?

Karl

Comment

Yep, have the air on the fork tubes and the 00A30 carbs. Are you having fun yet?

Gerry

Comment

OOPS, have the same manual. It cost 90 bucks I think. I bought it when I got the bike.

Gerry

Comment

Well, looks that either the reallty or the map is wrong....

I still don't know what country code i have (very irritating) and have always to cross-check the wiring diagrams......

Could you read your code on plate on the frame or on the glued sticker?

Do you also have type GV71C (I think the C is for 1984)

Karl

Comment

It was stamped on the steering head. Are you ready for this? Mine is GV71A7E21.

Gerry

Comment

It was stamped on the steering head. Are you ready for this? Mine is GV71A7E21.

Gerry

Comment

Things are getting more and more confusing :roll:, hope I can sleepp well tonight, maybe a case for John Drake....

Well,

I have a glued white sticker on the frame next to the plate with the frame number, saying F42

On the plate is the following stamped (also corresponds to the stamped frame and engine number):

Type GV71C

E.No V703-10XXXX

F.No GV71C-10XXXX

Thats it, no country code or other flashy markings

Se also http://66.27.55.198/gs%2Dclassic/dow...i_Modelle1.PDF

If you have the E28, the turn signal and brake lights should be 23 W, if you have E21 they should be 21W.

Front fork air pressure is "only for E-28"

I think you have code E-28 after all, but you never know.......

Karl

Comment

If you have E-21 code you also should have a light switch and an extra parking light bulb......

I think the wiring diagram for the E-21 matches my bike......

Karl

Comment

Well, It looks like E28. The old rear blinker(I put a set of front on the rear because they are shorter and have running lights) have 23 w bulbs. Do you think you can sleep now?

Gerry

Comment

Well, I can always think of the topic if I can't sleep....

After the discussion here, I have at least decided not to change my main jets , which was my prior question related to the counrty code discussion.

However I would like to know what the correct code is for my bike is, it is so much easier to read the service manual.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X