Brake light won't turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light won't turn off

I just noticed that my brake light is stuck on. It was fine last night but someone told me today it was out, but the tail light was on. But upon checking I see that the brake light is on. Anyone had this happen before or know a likely spot to start checking between the front and rear brakes? I imagine something is stuck or shorted somewhere, just trying to figure out where.

First two things I would check would be the front and rear brake light switches.

If yours is anything like the 1100, your front brake switch is under the right grip pod (where your run switch is). It is a small, oblong plate with screws at each end. Undo the screws and the plate, a small plastic/metal piece and a spring should come out. See if your light goes out then.

If not, check the back brake switch. For me, there is a little screw type actuator that allows you to set how far the pedal will travel before the brake light engages. It is on the right side of the bike, near the master cylinder. Again, this is from memory on a GS1100. You should be able to actuate the switch by had and see if you can make the light go out.

- Tony

Comment

Re: Brake light won't turn off

Try taking your hand an yanking the footbrake lever up and down about 15 times. Sometimes, it will just stick the switch in the contact position. After that, check to see that the plunger in the rear brakelight switch retracts when the brake pedal is released.

Earl

Originally posted by alan
      I just noticed that my brake light is stuck on. It was fine last night but someone told me today it was out, but the tail light was on. But upon checking I see that the brake light is on. Anyone had this happen before or know a likely spot to start checking between the front and rear brakes? I imagine something is stuck or shorted somewhere, just trying to figure out where.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I had this happen once. On my bike theres a metal springlike thing going from the rear brake lever into a black gidget that screws apart. Something bent the spring thing which made it perminantly stay on. So I bent it back and it worked. Just an idea...

Comment

Once I got it home and not in the Shucks parking lot and got to looking at it I figured it had to be really simple and it was. I turned out the rear brake switch backed out a bit engaging hte light and when I turned it the first time in the parking lot I went the wrong way.

What was funny was some guy told me my brake light was out, but I had tail light. Made sense so I pulled the buld and one filiment looked a bit wierd. So, on the way back to work I swung by the Suzuki place. They could get one for a couple bucks in a week. But the guy went back and looked arouns and found the same buld in a Honda wrapper, it was $7! So, I went up to the auto parts store and they were two for $3.

Comment

Go to Walmart. The ++ extra, double good, long life bulbs are are $1.83 for a two pack. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by alan
            What was funny was some guy told me my brake light was out, but I had tail light. Made sense so I pulled the buld and one filiment looked a bit wierd. So, on the way back to work I swung by the Suzuki place. They could get one for a couple bucks in a week. But the guy went back and looked arouns and found the same buld in a Honda wrapper, it was $7! So, I went up to the auto parts store and they were two for $3.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X