Oh Chain Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Chain Masters

Ok, I guess I'm still not getting this whole chain thing. Hoomgar, I guess I'll have to come up to PA and have you show me again.

After a tad less than 5,000 miles - My O-Rings on the Master Link are GONE!!! 8O
    Also, I've been a good boy and wiping it down with mineral spirits about every 600 miles or so and using Maxima chain WAX. The last couple weeks I've let slip as my back is a tad stiff, yet tonight I just didn't like the looks of things. I checked further and noticed that even after wiping the chain down, the O-Rings still have lots of crud on them. Not to mention the 2 that are GONE!!

SO:

1. What did I do wrong with the Master Link. I know I had trouble keeping the Lube in, but I thought the O-Rings were ok.

2. Can I get by for a few more days til I can get to the only shop with in 50 miles of me who carry the Clip Style Master Link? (No Clip vs. Rivet arguments please.)

3. I've heard different opinions on what destroys O-Rings and what doesn't. Can I get insight on how I can "Properly" clean the O-Rings? WD-40 perhaps, sprayed liberally?

Thanks guys. Man, I'm trying my best to get the hang of this. Kinda funny in a sick kinda way. :roll:

you just have to be modern and not use good old messy oil.

Comment

On o -ring chain types you are not supposed to clean w/ mineral spirits
      or parts cleaner, or carb /coke cleaner or wd 40, and no preasure cleaning; it dries out the o rings and damages them some what like disinigrates the o rings, to properly clean an o ring chain i would use a high viscosity motor oil ( ex. 10w 40 - 20w 50) and w/ a clean rag wipe and soak the chain down. As for maintenance intervals on this, just keep a good eye on the chain slack, and dirt/contamination in the links often. I live close to the ocean, were there is lots of sand blowing around and i see it get built up on my chain about 200mi. However i have a Rk o ring chain and might differ from your application check out www.best-motorcycle-chain-lube.com they give you good info on proper ways to lubricate your chain although i dont agree w/ the way they have you clean the chains in kerosene. As for your master link i personaly have had a clip style link and had the outer plate come off and the inner link fork out and drove 20mi easing on the clutch at every stop light, i would not reccomend driving on your chain and/ masterlink in your condition. The way you describe that the o rings stiil have a lot of crud on them i would reccomend getting a whole new chain and master link you choice
      (no arguments) and starting of on a new chain and from there properly
      maintaining / cleaning, lubricating to give you a longer chain life.
      hope i helped you out.

Comment

I've never seen mineral spirits recommended as a cleaner for O ring chains. Kerosene is recommended by at least one major manufacturer.

Through personal use I've found WD-40 to be an excellent cleaner. Some guys go with the bulk 1 gallon liquid and a brush, but I use the spray. It does no harm to O rings. (once again that is my personal observation, although I've read this advice in bike mags too.) Spray 'em down after a ride. Use your favorite chain lube the next morning.

Comment

Hey Dave, No Cleaning or Lubing on a Shafty! :twisted:
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc
            Hey Dave, No Cleaning or Lubing on a Shafty! :twisted:
            I thought you looked like one of those. 8O

Comment

And Your Point Is??? :P
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

You may want to consider going to a 530 chain.
                Just a suggestion as there are more option with a 530 vesus a 630.
                Yes you'll need sprockets and a spacer for the front sprocket.

How bad is the chain? Worn or loose beyond adjustement?
                If it's real bad , it's time for sprockets. Give them a good look also.

I've never "cleaned" my sealed o-ring chain. No WD-40 or kerosene on it.

I use maxima chain wax every 300-500 miles.
                In over 8,000 miles I've adjusted it twice. Up here in the northeast, we get the usual road grit and grime. I've ridden in rain, and tried towax it before the rain.
                Lube it when it's hot and adjust when cold.
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

The last time I "degunked" a chain, I removed it and soaked it in non detergent motor oil overnight, then wiped it clean with a rag saturated in the same oil. Hung it up to drip dry after wiping. I use Boeshield T-9 to lube the chain when its on the bike. T-9 is a corrosion block and rubber lubricant.

Earl
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by tarzanscot
                    On o -ring chain types you are not supposed to clean w/ mineral spirits
                    or parts cleaner, or carb /coke cleaner or wd 40, and no preasure cleaning; it dries out the o rings and damages them some what like disinigrates the o rings, to properly clean an o ring chain i would use a high viscosity motor oil ( ex. 10w 40 - 20w 50) and w/ a clean rag wipe and soak the chain down. As for maintenance intervals on this, just keep a good eye on the chain slack, and dirt/contamination in the links often. I live close to the ocean, were there is lots of sand blowing around and i see it get built up on my chain about 200mi. However i have a Rk o ring chain and might differ from your application check out www.best-motorcycle-chain-lube.com they give you good info on proper ways to lubricate your chain although i dont agree w/ the way they have you clean the chains in kerosene. As for your master link i personaly have had a clip style link and had the outer plate come off and the inner link fork out and drove 20mi easing on the clutch at every stop light, i would not reccomend driving on your chain and/ masterlink in your condition. The way you describe that the o rings stiil have a lot of crud on them i would reccomend getting a whole new chain and master link you choice
                    (no arguments) and starting of on a new chain and from there properly
                    maintaining / cleaning, lubricating to give you a longer chain life.
                    hope i helped you out.
                    Tampa? Heck, you should make the Florida run in a couple weeks so's we can all meet all proper and all. :roll:

Comment

Thanks all.

The chain is in excellent condition and I've not had to adjust it yet. Although it's just about time for the first adjustment.
                      All the O-Rings look in great shape, I just see crud still around them. I want to avoid as much damage to the O-Rings as possible. Sounds like a Good Oil Bath will do the trick.

As for the Master link. I'll replace ASAP.

Keith, sorry didn't mention it. It IS a 530 DID O-Ring Chain.

I can't understand why I lost the O-rings on the Master link though. That is troubling?

Comment

Kerosene and a old paint brush/and old tooth brush. The chain and o-rings will be super clean ready for a new application of your favorite chain lube.

Kerosene does not damage o-rings or any other type of rubber for that matter. It is my favorite cleaner and I use it for everything.

Hope this helps,

Andre

Comment

that would be awsome to make the florida run but im in the
                          complete rebuild stage of my 1983 GS 750E i estimate
                          it will be done in 10 months sorry would be great i will
                          definately be participating in other upcoming events when
                          my project is completed.

Comment

Working...
                          X