Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inverted forks

Hi all,

After my recent little crash, I'm wondering if my front forks are screwed up.

The mounting for the gauge-cluster on the triple-tree snapped off, and I imagine the forks could have been messed from the impact as well.

I've got 2 questions:

Will (should) I have to replace my triple-tree ?

And, I've seen lots of people putting on inverted GSX forks on their GS's, and am wondering if this is possible to do on my '80 850L?

I know if it is possible I might have to change the front wheel, but I don't know too much about it.

I'll search tips, but I'm in a real rush....sorry...

POOT

Hi

Sorry,but I think you have to keep the long original forks. Othervise your engine will allmost kiss the ground.That is before you take a turn....

GS1000GLx (way to low as it is original)

Comment

I just was searching some dimensions of the tires of some newer suzuki bikes, and found that the 2002 DL 1000 has a pretty similar tire dimension

GS-850 front tire: 110-90-19 ground clearance : 6.3 in

V-strom front: 110-80-19 ground clearance : 6.5 in

Maybe it would be possible to swap the forks then?
      if not,
      Lets say , that hypothetically you could use this front assembly......

Would you have to change the back tire as well ? They're both radial tires if im not mistaken....

POOT

Comment

If you followed Katman's progress his setup is the way to go. 50mm GSXR tubes mounted in CBR954 triples to pick up an extra inch of clearance. You use a 3.5"x17" rim with a 120/70 mounted. If you're going to do the mod the good rubber and the massive brakes are the reason to do it. The suspension is light years ahead of GS based stuff.

Comment

thanks for the tip !

I'll have to check it out and see if I'm up to the task! (i've got another 6 full months to work on it!!!)

POOT

Comment

Would I have to replace my triple tree if the right mount for the instrument cluster broke off?

or could I just jb weld it back on when i put the new cluster on?

I'm not sure if i can afford to do the inverted forks thing. at least not if i want to do other things in life too!

poot

Comment

Working...
            X