Brake light problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light problem

Ok, here I am again with another newbie question. When applying the foot brake on our 81 GS450l, I have a brake light. When applying the front brake, if I squeeze REALLY hard the brake light will sometimes come on. What should I check? It would be nice to have working brake lights.
    Thanks in advance!

Check the front brake switch right by the front brake lever.
    Over time these can get munged up with road stuff and fail to work.
    If you do a search on the forum you may be able to find some more info.
    Sorry
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Look below the master cylinder on the front brake handle area, just where the handle attaches. From underneath, you should see a protrusion that is about an inch long and 1/4 inch wide, with two screws. There will be a pair of wires exiting from this area.

Loosen the screws, until the plastic case loosens enough from the brake handle that you can move the switch body, (which is a thin piece of fiberboard-type material sandwiched between the plastic case and the master cylinder) left and right. If you slide it all the way to the right side, the brake light should come on and remain on all the time, even if the brake handle is not depressed. As you slowly slide it to the left, the brake light should extinguish.

Without moving the switch, tighten the two screws, and test your brake light. It should come on just after you apply pressure to the handle.

If the switch is dirty, you may have to take it apart and clean it, but after you put it back to gether, the adjustment process is the same.

Matt

Comment

It is possible if you remove the cover that the switch will fall out in a bunch of little pieces. Suzuki has used the same switch for years so your dealer may have it in stock or can get it quick. Cost about 6 bucks.

Comment

Very small parts, Very, Very small spring. Be careful
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I switched to the hydraulic brake switch from Dennis Kirk. It was $18 or $20 and it works nicely. Never have to worry about that little spring and corroding copper ever again.

J
            16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
            13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
            78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
            Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
            02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
            12 Aprilia Shiver 750
            82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

I like that idea jon, thanks for the tip! I see they list two numbers with the difference being the thread pitch. The choices are 10x1.0 or 10x1.25. Do you remember which one you bought by any chance?

Here's a link for anyone interested...

Comment

Don't make the same mistake that I did and order the one that is for "Most Japanese and European motorcycles" without checking the threads of your master cylinder union bolt. I ordered the 1.25 pitch switch and the threads were too course for my 78 GS750 master cylinder. I ended up getting the 1.00 pitch switch and it fit perfectly.

What really sucked was that I had to pay the $6 s/h to exchange for the right one. Duh!

The Suzuki part number for the union bolt that fits in my master cylinder is 09360-10003. If it is the same for your bike (check bike bandit parts fiche), then order the 1.00 pitch switch.

-Jon

History book:
                12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Of course mine's different. I'll have to pull it and check. Thanks!

Comment

Just make sure you bleed your lines before getting back out on the road!

J

History book:
                    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Yes, that's the killer, I just flushed the fluid this morning. I wish I had read this thread first! Oh well, not a big deal to bleed them again.

Comment

Working...
                      X