keeps fouling plugs again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeps fouling plugs again!

Its me again. I made a similiar post a little while ago. I lowered the main needle (the one under the cap on top of the carb) one notch. I thought it fixed the problem, but they fouled again today. It lasted a little bit longer this time. There is only one groove left to move the e-clip to lean it more. Should i move it again or not? I cant see the carbs needing this much adjustment when it ran perfect for years at the previous settings. Whats left to try? Im still leaning toward some sort of electrical problem, but i dont know what. I just had a new rectifier installed about a month ago, but it was fouling before that anyway. With a stage three jet kit, what plugs should i use, and gap size? Im running out of patience and money for plugs,lol. I use ngk D7EA right now, same as the bike has loved for years. Please help me!

You are still running plugs 1 range hotter than stock. Just because you've used them for years doesn't make that OK. Your plugs shouldn't foul with the standard 8, much less with the 7. You are still way over-jetted. I would continue to lean out the mixture until you run clean with the standard plug.

Ace.

Comment

As above lean out with the stock plug.

D8EA .028 Gap or D7EA or D9EA same gap

Are your air filters dirty, air restriction can cause a rich condition.

Do you have stock coils and wires, if yes it may be time for some aftermarket coils and wires.

Premium fuel helps, complete carb overhaul?

Just some suggestions.

Andre N. Bouchere

Comment

And something more...
        Your bike may have run fine over-jetted with hotter plugs and new wires/caps. Over time, the resistance in the wires changes, reducing the spark somewhat. Besides that, an over-rich mixture will build up carbon in the chamber, increasing compression and further reducing spark. Don't make the mistake of trying to get the ignition to once again fire thru an over-rich mixture. Fix the source of the problem.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I finally got my hands on a manual for my bike. I am going to go over the electrical stuff this weekend. By the way, yesterday I tried the D8EA plugs and they are starting to foul too. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Comment

A simple thing like dirty/varnished air jets could cause your problem.
            So could plugged holes in the needle jet/bleed pipe. Lots of things.
            I can already tell you you've set the jet needles too lean, trying to compensate for the real problem(s). You should also keep the stock plugs in the bike.
            What things have you done to try to correct the problem?
            What changes did the bike go through since running fine? Non-use?
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X