Good tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good tire

Hey guys its time for a new tire. I will be getting one this weekend and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions?

K673 Kruz

Just put a Kenda K673 Kruz 130-90 16 on my 82 GS1100GK. Its a 6 ply but the ride is great. Very pleasantly surprised. Only got one ride in the rain but the tire performed very well. I paid just over $102 mounted & balanced. Hopefully the 6 plies will translate into longer wear.

Comment

tired

I've just put a Metzler"Marathon" on my 80 1100 ET and have no complaints. So far it's been a good all round performer. Previous tires- metzler 55, good handling but too hard of a compound for hard acceleration and corner carving, but reasonable mileage, metzler lasertec, excelent in rain and high spirited riding, but plan on new tire every other oil change. The Marathon is a "touring tire" but is a softer compound than normal for this class of tire. While I don't push it through the corners the way I did with the Lasertec's I still put a lot of faith in Metzlers ability to design a superior tire. What really matters is to match your tire to the type of riding you do. By the way are you replacing the front at the same time, if not, make a point of making sure they are compatable with each other!!

Comment

Try the Dunlop GT501, or K825 on these old bikes. It's great!

Comment

I am running Bridgestones, if you are looking for good grip with good not great wear properties these are excellent.

120/80-18M/C 18 BT45R BW TL
          100/90-19M/C 19 BT45F BW TL

These are modern day tires designed for older bikes.

FEATURES

Battlax BT45 H-rated bias ply, designed to give performance and mileage on today's sport-touring bikes.
          Battlax BT45 V-rated bias ply, designed to give performance and mileage on sport bikes.
          Dual Tread Compound (DTC ) offering long lasting center compound and softer side compound
          Larger crown radius for greater stability and longer life.

BT-45V
          [Compound, pattern and shape]
          ?Same high performance as the BT-45.

[Construction]
          ?Incorporates Sports Sact (rear tire). Provides the same high level performance as the BT-45, but the extra potential of the V range specifications tolerates an even higher speed range.

BT-45
          [Compound]
          ?Battlax BT-45 rear contains Dual Tread Compound (DTC). The center compound secures long mileage and durability, while the tread edge compound secures grip and traction in corners. Also, Battlax BT-45 compound contains Silica for additional wet performance.

[Pattern]
          ?The newly developed zigzag center grooves promise high speed stability. The smaller, directional grooves in front tire effectively remove water for wet performance.

[Profile]
          ?Designed with CTDM, the unique sidewall profiles of Battlax BT-45 give high speed stability and riding comfort by cushion effect The large crown radius also contributes to the stability in high speed touring.

$75 front $90 rear US approx.

Hope this helps,

Andre N. Bouchere

Comment

Re: K673 Kruz

Originally posted by Giblet
            Just put a Kenda K673 Kruz 130-90 16 on my 82 GS1100GK. Its a 6 ply but the ride is great. Very pleasantly surprised. Only got one ride in the rain but the tire performed very well. I paid just over $102 mounted & balanced. Hopefully the 6 plies will translate into longer wear.
            I have Kenda's as well and LOVE them for $30 a peice!! have 10k on it and still tread to go, VERY good in the wet and the twisties!

Comment

I've been changing mc tires all summer, and we have put more Metzler ME880 Marathons on than anything else, we can't keep them in stock. They must be pretty good tires, though I've never riden on them. i just installed a set of Cheng Shin Hi-max, and though I know cheng shin is looked down upon by a lot of folks, they handle loads better than the Kenda Challengers that I had on before and cost about $80 for the set.

Comment

I put a Dunlop K491 Elite on the rear of fairly heavy bike (GS850) this spring. I've put 2200 miles on that tire and have yet to see any wear. It also improved the handling over the Metzler Marathon that was on it. To be fair, the Metzler was old and worn, but no way would the Metzler be better handling. I know Dunlops have a rep for rapid wear, but the K491 is different. It was $88 mail order.

Comment

Working...
                X