Megaphone to header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megaphone to header

Well, my exhaust system and gaskets are here and I have installed the header portion finger tight but cannot seem to get the megaphone attached to the header....

I swear it is too tight but maybe someone has some insight as to a way to attach the two sections. I realize they must be tight but these seem REAL tight. I have tried twisting, pushing, cussing and a combination of all three of those none of which seems to work. I have applied a little silicone to try to reduce friction but it has not helped. It almost seems that it is hanging up in one spot, I can get it to barely grab but no way will it go one any further.

Thanks,

Scud

Look for dents, flat spots, out of round sections, burrs inside the openings, weld splatter, etc. It doesn't take much to cause a LOT of swearing on a fairly close fit like you have there. If it all turns out good, then you may need to flare the outside section of the slip joint slightly. The best way to do that is go to a muffler shop and have them use their flaring machine to bump it open SLIGHTLY more than you have at the moment. That failing, a bit of massaging with a hammer is not out of the question...

Mark

Comment

You may have to run a sander inside your megaphone to take soem material off...I have had that same problem with Vance & Hines pipes...If its close you can heat the megaphone and put the header in the freezer...then slip em together..Hammer as a last resort...right before you are ready to shoot something.
      EULC ON

Comment

mark m...you were right, there was a few burrs and once those were addressed it slipped but only with the help of a hammer(gsbill) on the backside of a board. I also removed the piece that supports the rear footpeg and that made life much easier, I then could move the pipe up and down and get some purchase.

Just synched carbs and the pipessound good

I'll look at the plugs when I return home from my business trip next Sunday.

Thanks all!!

Scud

Comment

Working...
        X