Adding 110W Aux Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding 110W Aux Lights

I would appreciate a definitive answer from someone who has done it. Will the R/R and the stator take an additional 110W load? The aux. fuse is a 10A, so I'm led to believe it will be OK.

fuses used are typically twice the expected load a circuit is expected to continually handle. (from what I have seen)
    the regulator can handle it as it shunts un needed current to ground, add a load to the system and the regulator doesn't have to work as much.

110 watts is going to be pushing it and leave little if anything for charging.

Comment

Well I can't give you a definitive answer as "someone who has done it"... for the simple reason that I don't think it can be done with the usual GS setup. And plenty of folks would agree with me. There may be some who have done it, and if that's the case then I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I would love to mount a spottie on my Kat for those long rides through the darkened kangaroo-infested countryside, but unfortunately these charging systems are marginal to begin with (with 200W alternators in early models, and 250W in the rest, I think), so you're just not going to be able to reliably run auxilary lights pulling 110W. You might get away with one extra spot-light at 55W. They really are pretty crappy charging systems and if you are managing with the standard lights, ignition etc. then you are doing very well indeed.

If it's more light you want, try ensuring that you are using a bright halogen globe and that your headlight's reflective dish is in A-1 condition.

The best thing to do when night riding, is simply slow down to a speed where you feel you could comfortably brake to avoid that moose, kangaroo, grizzly, or domestic feline.

Mike.

Comment

I put in a 100/90w headlight.
        Toasted the electrical system, well at least the fuse block.

After my "learning" experience, I wouldn't do it.
        Unless you find a way to improve the r/r and stator.

Try a better headlight, I use a H4 65/55 works very well.
        The 100/90 was great while it worked, but again it created problems.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I have two 55w running lights and a silverstar in the headlight. So far
          (2 years) have not had a problem. The running lights are wired straight
          to the battery with an in-line fuse and on/off switch.

This will drain the battery during long rides so I will shut them off
          once in awhile, and also several miles before I reach destination to
          allow battery to recharge.

Note: I'm also using a Rick's stator and Honda(cx500) R/R.

Good luck.

Comment

I have used two 55 watt spotlights on my GS850 w/o problems. I wired them to the 10 amp aux circuit with a separate switch. They worked fine, but I now know more about the limitations of the charging system, so I wouldn't do it again.

Comment

My 700 has a 310 watt alternator and I've run 110 watt high beams with no trouble, not an additional 110 watts though. You might be pushing your luck. With the 8" headlight and a good 110 watt bulb the light is blinding.

Comment

I installed two 55 watt halogen lights that I got at Walmart for 15 bucks yesterday.

On my bike, the voltage drop when I run the bike with the extra lights is unacceptable to me. The bike normally runs at 13.8 volts without the additional lights, and when I turn them on, it drops to anywhere between 11.9 and 12.5 volts. This is while I am driving the bike at 55 mph.

I have a 450, and I am not sure what the capacity of the alternator is compared to other engines, but i am probably going to remove these from my bike.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by BigMattyD
                  I installed two 55 watt halogen lights that I got at Walmart for 15 bucks yesterday.

On my bike, the voltage drop when I run the bike with the extra lights is unacceptable to me. The bike normally runs at 13.8 volts without the additional lights, and when I turn them on, it drops to anywhere between 11.9 and 12.5 volts. This is while I am driving the bike at 55 mph.

I have a 450, and I am not sure what the capacity of the alternator is compared to other engines, but i am probably going to remove these from my bike.

Matt
                  Matt,

I found the same thing on mine. I connected them without mounting them just to measure the voltage. 12.5V is too low for me, so they won't go on my bike. Thanks to all who responded.

Gary

Comment

ADDING 110W AUXILLARY LIGHTS

I HAVE 80/100 HEADLIGHT
                    12 LEDS ON THE BACK
                    2 ADDITIONAL 55W LIGHTS ON THE FRONT FOR NIGHTS

IF I'M ROLLING 4500RPM OR HIGHER I CAN KEEP THEM ON
                    IF I SLOW DOWN I HAVE TO SHUT THEM OFF

MY VOLTAGE METER DROPS TO ALMOST NOTHING

1985 GS550L

GARY

Comment

Okay my 80 GS1100L headlight was pretty dim so I put a silver star 60/55 and it helped but i still think it good be better. I never could see well in the dark. Any quick sugestions?? Thanks

Comment

Make sure it is adjusted properly & check the voltage at the headlight
                        If you have a voltage drop check the ign switch

Comment

I Guess I am just stuck with what i got, cause everything checks out good

Comment

Lets do some quick figuring:

1 coil @ 3 ohms & 12 volts = 4 amps x 2 coils = 8 amps
                            65W headlight @ 12 volts = 5+ amps
                            taillight @ 1 amp

240 watt generator @ 12 volts = 20 amps

8 + 5 + 1 = 14 amps

That would leave 5 to 6 amps for charging and accessories.

Two 20 watt driving lights is about 3 amps which leaves 2 to 3 for charging.

Two 50 watt driving lights is about 8 amps. Not enough capacity for this!

I am using two 20 watt projector lamps in a driving light housing. You can them off ebay for about 25 dollars. They come with 50 watt bulbs but Home Depot has 20 watt bulbs in either 35 degree (BAB type) or 15 degree (ESF) beam widths. Not a lot of light at night, but since the bulbs are in plain view they are bright enough to be seen very well during the day which is why I bought them.

Comment

sounds like an idea!! Can you post a wiring diagram and perhaps a pic or two of the pic? thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X