Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mufflers?

:arrow: 1978 GS750,

Baffle is worn out on one side, what to do?
    Can the baffle be replaced?
    Can the muffler be replaced, without replacing header?
    When replacing the muffler should an OEM replacement be done, or can an aftermarket muffler work?
    Should the two mufflers be identical for carb reasons?
    How difficult is the project, should a professional handle it?
    Anybody have links to muffler replacements, having a hard time finding some. Thanks...

I can't answer all your questions, except to say that you won't be able to buy new OEM exhaust parts from Suzuki. You have to buy used and thats usually E-Bay. Then of course there are aftermarket exhausts.

If its just a muffler you want, JCwhitney or jcwmotorcycle.com has a big selection of mufflers and one might fit you bike. That's the only new "muffler only" parts I know about. Some have removable baffles, some don't. But having said that, on my 79 GS850 you can't just take off the muffler either, since the muffler and one header are all one big long piece, so muffler replacement only involves cutting, and perhaps welding to put on something new. I'm not sure about your bike.

If the baffles are the only problem with your exhaust (no rusted out holes, etc. on the outside), wait for more replies, someone might know how to replace those or drill out the ones you have in some way and put in new.

Also run a search on "exhaust" of "baffle". Lots of people have commented on this problem in the past. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, bad editing. "Exhaust" or "baffle".

Comment

Check out this thread:

I've got H-D mufflers on mine, and they work great. I did not have to rejet, but I did raise my needles using two Radio Shack tiny washers. Other than that, I adjusted the idle mixture screws.

Comment

Working...
        X