Engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine noise

I ran the motorcycle out of oil. I detect some engine noise now. It's a tapping noise. My clymer manual says I need to adjust my valve clearance. Does anyone know if I running it out of oil will result (there was no oil on dip stick, Im sure it was atleast wet inside) in enough heat to wear one of these tappet shims down.

Give us some info on the bike...Year, type, etc. were you checking the oil level on the side stand or the centre stand? how long was it running before you noticed the noise? The temperature of your location?

Comment

81 gs 450 L

It's a 1981 gs 450 L . It has original 10,000 miles on it. I check the oil on the side with a dip stick that says 10-w40 on it and screws down. I had been driving it for an hour I'd say going as fast as 65 mph the night I checked and the dipstick was dry. Noticed it fairly recent. The guy that I bought the bike from aquired it non running and had a buddy that owned a motorcycle repair shop and the mechanic went over the whole bike . There were no leaks and the bike ran great ! It' still does run great. It's gotta a little too much oil in it now because it seems to be burning it duh. And leaking a little bit too. Not sure where the leak is coming from seems to be coming a little from up high by the fins (aircooled) and down low. I don't know. I recently did a helicoil tap and insert on the oil drain plug cuz I stripped the plug by tightening it till it came LOOSE. In other words I noticed this among a chain of mistakes. The bike isn't a slug yet . I used to think it was faster and I don't know if thats because its losing performance or just wasn't used to it yet. I recently changed the oil and filter and Cleaned and wet my air filter with oil like im supposed tool . I've had It to 85.

Comment

I think I checked it on the center stand.

Comment

It's summer time

here in virginia beach, Virginia. Hot enough to make a furry man sweat.

Comment

A GS450 has screw and locknut tappets,not shims, so yes it is possible that the valves need adjusting, this may or may not be due to running low on oil.
            Treat this as a warning, keep a closer eye on oil level, the twins dont hold a lot so extra care is required. Have you valves adjusted as they need it, and enjoy.
            Dink

Comment

No, I believe it has

Tappet shims, both bike bandit and my clymer manual show this.

Comment

but i guess

it's not my tappet shims.

Comment

Working...
                X