Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have experience or knowledge with oil additives??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have experience or knowledge with oil additives??

My 850 G is burning some oil (not enough to make lots of smoke... but it must be going somewhere, maybe one qt. every 1000 to 1500 miles)... and... has a few slow oil leaks (not exactly dripping all over the floor... but just staining the engine some).

I see lots of name brand products at the auto stores (oil additives) they say that they'll reduce oil buning up in the combustion process and also stop small oil leaks. You just put the directed amount in the crankcase when you do an oil change.

Anybody know if this really works.... and, or, is there any down side?? Can you do any harm to any engine parts in the long run??

Thanks for your input, Greg

When your have a wet clutch, as we do, any additives can lead to problem's.
    Sliping, grabing or both.
    Not worth it mate.

Comment

Oil additives are "Snake Oil" plain and simple, one quart (600mL) per 1000 miles (1600Kms) is nothing to worry about. Start to worry when it hits two quarts per 600 miles.
      Dink

Comment

Totally agree with last two posts

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
          Oil additives are "Snake Oil" plain and simple, one quart (600mL) per 1000 miles (1600Kms) is nothing to worry about. Start to worry when it hits two quarts per 600 miles.
          Dink
          while I agree most of what you'll find in the auto parts store is snake oil, and I will also agree that you don't want any oil additives in your bike, not ALL additives are snake oil- BG products make a few additives that actually do dramaticaly reduce friction and clean up oil passages, and help remove deposits. its only available at an automotive dealership, Ive seen it work wonders on many vehicles, my own included. MOA-111 is the name of it.

again, DO NOT use any additives in your bike, like was mentioned the clutch wont like it

Comment

Re: Anybody have experience or knowledge with oil additives?

Anything that can build up to plug a leak will also build up to plug an oil passage. You might as weel just dump sand in your engine. The only difference is the sand will clog it up slightly faster. Forget the stuff, its asking for big trouble. Oil consumption for these bikes when they were showroom floor new was about 1 quart per 2000 miles. (more or less)
            I would worry much more if the bike didnt use any oil. My 1150, with no leaks, uses 2 ounces per 100 miles, or 1 quart in 1600 miles. That is normal.

For the few small oil weeps, clean and dry the area/seam with some alcohol to remove any oil on the surface. The surface must be clean and dry without a trace of oil. Put a light coat/bead of silicone over the spot its leaking at. Let it dry for 6-8 hours without starting the bike. That has worked for a couple of small weeps I had on the 1150 for over 2 years without needing reapplication.

Earl

Originally posted by GregM.
            My 850 G is burning some oil (not enough to make lots of smoke... but it must be going somewhere, maybe one qt. every 1000 to 1500 miles)... and... has a few slow oil leaks (not exactly dripping all over the floor... but just staining the engine some).

I see lots of name brand products at the auto stores (oil additives) they say that they'll reduce oil buning up in the combustion process and also stop small oil leaks. You just put the directed amount in the crankcase when you do an oil change.

Anybody know if this really works.... and, or, is there any down side?? Can you do any harm to any engine parts in the long run??

Thanks for your input, Greg
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If the plugs are not wet with oil I would not worry about it. You could try 20w-50 and see if it improves the situation.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks a ton for all the info... This site is a great resource. So... I won't be buying any of that stuff. And not be concerned about my oil consumption.

So far I've been using 10W-40... maybe I'll think about the 20W/50. I'm in Seattle... the coldest I'll be riding in is the mid 40's and the hottest will be the mid 80's. Any suggestions??

How about the synthetics??? I understand they will last longer, but if I'm going to change it every 2000 or 3000 miles (IS THIS WHAT YOU ALL RECCOMMEND??) anyway is there any big advantage?? Any advantage in it burning up less than regular oil in the compustion process??

I love this bike and love learning all the ways to take the best care of it. Greg

Comment

I believe 10w40 is the manufacturer recommendation for the bike. I used Castrol 20w50 for many years and was happy with it. A few years ago, I changed to Mobil 1 15w50 and I like it better. The engine oil temp is reduced about 15 degrees with the Mobil 1 and the transmission shifts noticably smoother. Mobil 1 costs about 2 1/2 times what the Castrol did, but I changed oil every 1500 miles with the Castrol and I change oil every 2500-3000 miles with the Mobil 1, so Oil used per mile is almost the same.
                  My guess is that the Castrol would be worn out in 1500 miles about equal to the wear on the Mobil 1 in 2500 miles. The Mobil 1 is more resistant to breakdown.

I dont think oil consumption is going to change noticably regardless of the oil you use. Air cooled engines have greater internal tolerances than water cooled engines, or to put it another way, they have bigger internal spaces for oil to go through. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by GregM.
                  Thanks a ton for all the info... This site is a great resource. So... I won't be buying any of that stuff. And not be concerned about my oil consumption.

So far I've been using 10W-40... maybe I'll think about the 20W/50. I'm in Seattle... the coldest I'll be riding in is the mid 40's and the hottest will be the mid 80's. Any suggestions??

How about the synthetics??? I understand they will last longer, but if I'm going to change it every 2000 or 3000 miles (IS THIS WHAT YOU ALL RECCOMMEND??) anyway is there any big advantage?? Any advantage in it burning up less than regular oil in the compustion process??

I love this bike and love learning all the ways to take the best care of it. Greg
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Give the 20w50 a try. In 1980 I baught a new GS 1000 G, It used a qt. of oil every 1250 to 1500 mi. My dealer said that wasn't bad enough for the warranty to address it, and advised the 20w50. I went to Castrol 20w50 & from then on, it would be a qt. low at every change, 3000 mi. Certainly worth a try.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If you want to try, and can afford to spend a little extra $$,

find the RED-CAP Mobile 1 15w50.

be careful to look at the packaging, as they came out with some new stuff thats apparently not the greates.

poot

Comment

My vote is for mobil 20 50.

Comment

I am wirling around with a new 0W 40W Mobile 1
                          Clutch hookup is great when it is cold and seems to be running fine.
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks Earl for all the info... and I will definitely take in all this great advice to give the best care of my fun riding machine.

I've been reading this site off and on for a few months now... and I'm learning SO much, and at the same time getting a whole boatload more questions. Greg

Comment

Working...
                            X