changing REALLY old oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing REALLY old oil?

so this thing has probably sat in it's oil not running since 1999 (last reg date)

I can only assume it's in bad shape, and I just wanted to ask the best way to clean it well and safely? I just changed my fork oil and rinsed it with kerosene, but somehow that doesn't seem like the best idea in our crankcases, it was hard to get it all out for sure..

other idea would be to just buy some really cheap oil for the first change and then change it again after it's run just a short bit?

what do you guys (*and gals ) think?

Dump the oil, run some engine flush in it for a few minutes, then dump the engine flush and the filter.
    Replace the oil and filter.

BTW engine flushing agents are mostly kerosene.

Comment

Running the engine flush is ok, but dont twist the throttle any more than you need to keep it idling. Kerosene isnt worth squat for lubricating ability.

I would probably drain the old oil and put a new filter and some cheap oil and engine flush in it and let it idle for a few minutes. Then do a normal oil and filter change.

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

so maybe a half and half kerosene and cheap oil would do the trick?

Comment

Honestly, i would just replace the oil and filter, and call it a day

Comment

I'm with spots25, just do a regular oil & filter change. Run it for 500 to 1000 mi. Let the new oil dilute the old oil & wash things out good, then another oil & filter change. Wouldn't use cheap oil, for an engine that has been sitting for a long time, you want the best lubrication you can get, to get to all the parts as quick as possible. How much would be saved on 4 qt. of cheap oil as compared to 4 qt. of good oil????
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I guess I was mostly going to just flush it and drain it, maybe run it for a few minutes kinda thing, possibly around the block, maybe not even that...

guess I'll see how bad it is when I drain it, then decide...

Comment

I would feel safe with that.

Earl

Originally posted by snowbeard
                so maybe a half and half kerosene and cheap oil would do the trick?

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I dont think its going to make any difference what kind of motor oil is used for sitting in the shop and idling for 10 minutes.

Earl

Originally posted by rphillips
                  I'm with spots25, just do a regular oil & filter change. Run it for 500 to 1000 mi. Let the new oil dilute the old oil & wash things out good, then another oil & filter change. Wouldn't use cheap oil, for an engine that has been sitting for a long time, you want the best lubrication you can get, to get to all the parts as quick as possible. How much would be saved on 4 qt. of cheap oil as compared to 4 qt. of good oil????

Comment

I've heard that ATF is pretty good at cleaning things out. maybe thats a less harsh option than kerosene?

POOT

Comment

DON"T PUT ANYTHING other than oil in the motor or you risk damaging
                      the clutch

Comment

Actually, I've used ATF on hundreds of occasions to clean a car engine out before a rebuild. A lot of times we'll get an enging whose oil has 'sludged' due to neglect on the part of the owner, and over the years I have learned that cleaning out all that dark goo during the rebuild is much easier if ATF is run in the crankcase for a few hours of good hot driving prior to the teardown. Never thought about that application for a bike, but the ATF definitely works as a cleaning agent in cars. [/quote]

Comment

I am with the people who said just change it and put in a new filter then do it again in 500. If you just have to do something else, add some rislone which is an aggresive detergent that will tend to clean everything and hold all the guk in suspension so that it will all be removed when you change the oil. The down side of that is that if the engine has megga deposits in it, they could all come loose and overwhelm the oils ability to lubricate. If Rislone was used, one would have to watch the colour of the oil very very regularly until change time. Chances are that it just isnt that bad and an oil change will do. All engine oils nowadays contain detergents anyway, just not in concentrates that approach rislone enriched oil.

Comment

I dont know what the result of saturating the clutch linings with ATF would be.

Earl

Originally posted by qslim
                            Actually, I've used ATF on hundreds of occasions to clean a car engine out before a rebuild. A lot of times we'll get an enging whose oil has 'sludged' due to neglect on the part of the owner, and over the years I have learned that cleaning out all that dark goo during the rebuild is much easier if ATF is run in the crankcase for a few hours of good hot driving prior to the teardown. Never thought about that application for a bike, but the ATF definitely works as a cleaning agent in cars.
                            [/quote]

Comment

Oil is made from dinosaurs. It's lasted this long. Change the oil and filter and do it again in 2k miles.
                              Currently bikeless
                              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                              X