No announcement yet.

changing REALLY old oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldnt it make the material on the clutch plates swell?

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      Oil is made from dinosaurs. It's lasted this long. Change the oil and filter and do it again in 2k miles.
      probably the safest bet. Kerosene or ATF could botch something with clutch, etc.

Comment

When I was riding trials, a lot of used ATF in the tranmissions (2 stroke engines) and never had any problems with the clutches.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          Oil is made from dinosaurs. It's lasted this long. Change the oil and filter and do it again in 2k miles.
          I agree with this statement. I just took apart a 450 engine off a bike that was last inspected in 1995. The oil was dark in color, but the engine was very clean inside. I know the engine hadn't run in quite some time, as the fuel tank was disconnected, and many parts had already been taken off. Igniter, etc.

Matt

Comment

well, the oil itself appeared dark, but still slightly clear.

bad part was there were streaks of dark in the primary drive gear oil, but it was nicely clear.

I think the owner did alot to try to solve the running issues, which at this point I've found to be the coils, the rear shocks, and the carbeurator boots from the airbox. but the oil looks like it was at least changed recently.

I'll do it again once I've actually had it moving a few miles, could still be a bit. without the boots, it bogs horribly and can barely take throttle. course there's so much "not quite" together with it at this point I can hardly blame 'er!!

thanks for the advice!!!

Comment

Usually I flush an engine with diesel, mixed half with engine oil. Done it for years, my brothers for years before me, my father for years before me. If you are just going to flush it for a couple minutes, it should be totally cool.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
                bad part was there were streaks of dark in the primary drive gear oil, but it was nicely clear.

Thats pretty normal. It's often accompanied by that lovely smell too!

poot

Comment

normal, eh? I guess that's comforting!

Comment

Working...
                  X