Do I need a new chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a new chain?

I've got a general chain question, regarding my other bike. I've been running an o-ring chain for about 15,000 miles on my 1975 Honda CB750 K5. I replaced the sprockets at the same time. It seems as though it has hardly stretched at all; however, there are some major tight spots. When I check the slack in the bottom run of chain between the sprockets, it is very loose at one point on the chain. Then, I rotate the rear wheel about half way around, and it is much tighter. Right now, I've got it adjusted so that it has a 3/4" of slack at the tightest part, and the loosest part doesn't rub on anything. Is this normal wear? Is it time to replace the chain? What causes this? The adjusters are lined up with the second line from the front of the swing arm, so I've got a lot more strech that I can take up, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I hate to have to replace a chain that has hardly stretched at all.

I am wondering what type of lubrication you use on your chain??? Would you please tell me

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
      I am wondering what type of lubrication you use on your chain??? Would you please tell me
      I use Maxima Chain Wax on both of my bikes. I lube it about every 500 miles or whenever it looks dry, whichever comes first.

Comment

would you consider soaking it in kerosine and then soaking it in oil to see if it is not just dry in some spots--it sounds like the thing is not totally lubed --juat a wild guess

Comment

It's worth a shot. Kerosene is a lot cheaper than a new chain! Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by xcvii90
            It's worth a shot. Kerosene is a lot cheaper than a new chain! Thanks for the advice.
            the kero is just to clean it--you must soak it in oil afterwards

Comment

I didn't have time last night to take the chain off and soak it, but I cleaned it on the bike with a lot of WD-40. I inspected it link by link, and found that only one was stiff.

Hopefully tonight I can take it off and soak it in Kerosene to get it really clean. Then, I'm going to try to work some PB Blaster penetrating oil into the offending link to try to free it up. Assuming I can get it free, I'll soak it in oil before I re-install it. What weight oil do you recommend? Will it really seep in under the o-rings? How long should I soak it?

If I can't get the link free, I may try to remove the bad link and install a second master link. I really hate to buy a new chain since all of the links are free except one.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I dont have any idea what weight--I would use plain motor oil or better than that, a bar and chain oil--i like to soak things overnight unless there is a reason for not doing so. Il bett some of the guys have lots of recomendations on what to use in the soaking process--I believe that wiping the chain with a clean rag after soaking would be in order. Maybe even hang it a bit to drain the excess off.?????

Comment

Working...
                X