Is this cam bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this cam bad?

I recently bought a head on eBay as a backup for parts. One lobe on one of the cams has a little chip on the edge. Is the cam toast, or can it be used?

cam

What ever happened to it may have stressed the rest of the lobe or cam shaft. some may say if you bevel the edge you may be alright but if may start to flake, I would not use it myself I would also check for cracks in the head if it was mounted when it was broke

Comment

It might casue excessive wear on the rocker arm, and if another piece chips off and gets in your engine somewhere....
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It's pretty much what I figured, but wanted to get some other opinions. I'll check over the rest of the head to see if I can see any damage from the chip that came off.

I wonder what caused it in the first place...

Comment

It may of been dropped or something bang up against it.

If it's on the downward slope of the lobe it may not cause any problems but if it's on the upward then it may cause some wear to the bucket.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
          X