Changing magneto cover on GS450TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing magneto cover on GS450TX

OK, I'm about to do another thing I've never done before. I've got an NOS magneto cover, a new gasket & screws from Bike Bandit, and a new emblem to top it off.

After I drain the oil and take the old cover loose do I have to worry about anything falling out? Gears, springs, Cadbury eggs, or anything? Nothing attached inside that I'll have to switch out? Basically, is it as simple as I'm thinking, like, pop off/pop on and fill with oil? Is the gasket enough to seal everything or do I need any kind of glue or?

Thanks.

Re: Changing magneto cover on GS450TX

Originally posted by Desolation Angel
    OK, I'm about to do another thing I've never done before. I've got an NOS magneto cover, a new gasket & screws from Bike Bandit, and a new emblem to top it off.

After I drain the oil and take the old cover loose do I have to worry about anything falling out? Gears, springs, Cadbury eggs, or anything? Nothing attached inside that I'll have to switch out? Basically, is it as simple as I'm thinking, like, pop off/pop on and fill with oil? Is the gasket enough to seal everything or do I need any kind of glue or?

Thanks.
    It should be a straight swap Herb 8)

Comment

No sealer on the gasket. Install it dry. If it makes you feel better you can wet that gasket with the slightest little bit of non hardening fuel resistant sealer. I do that depending on the application. Just real light. Like paint it with it and wipe off the excess.

Comment

Also you shouldn't have to drain the oil, you may only get a few t spoons of oil leak from that cover when you take it off.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
          Also you shouldn't have to drain the oil, you may only get a few t spoons of oil leak from that cover when you take it off.
          Yup, did mine on the side stand with the stand in a bit of a dip in the driveway and no oil at all came out. Good tip John, save him from draining the oil needlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
            Originally posted by wrench
            Yup, did mine on the side stand with the stand in a bit of a dip in the driveway and no oil at all came out. Good tip John, save him from draining the oil needlessly.

Comment

Wow, you guys are my heroes. I'll just put the oil pan under it for whatever little bit may come, and I'll be Master Mechanic!!

Thank you!

I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angel
                Wow, you guys are my heroes. I'll just put the oil pan under it for whatever little bit may come, and I'll be Master Mechanic!!

Thank you!

I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!
                Cool if i decide to rebuild my carbs, i'll know who to ask

Comment

Put the new cover on yesterday. It's pretty.

Lost one tablespoon of oil, no prob. It's sad, but I wasn't expecting that magnetic electricky looking wiry round thing. All the screws in there were stubborn, but got 'em out. No idea what it's all for, but moved it to the new cover.

On with the new emblem and wha-laa! Now I need the cover that goes just behind the magneto cover over the front sprocket. The current one is somewhat chewed up.

John, I'm not ready to handle that carb job, yet, but, hey, I know someone you should ask....Hoomie!

Comment

old farm tractors have magnetos, GS's have AC generators.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                      old farm tractors have magnetos, GS's have AC generators.
                      Aaaarrr, so it's correctin' me Anglish now, eh? (Canadian pirate.) Truly, sophisticated be ye speakin', yet that scurvy barnacle encrusted schematic on BikeBandit, money-suckin' wench that she is, be callin' it magneto, me Cleburne matey! T'was not me doin', ta use a chum covered word like magneto, aaarrrrgggghhhhh! Aye! :P

Comment

Working...
                      X