Can You Remove the Oil Cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Remove the Oil Cooler?

OK, my oil lines on my 1984 Suzuki GS550EF are seeping oil quite regularily now and I need to replace them, but Suzuki Canada said they are discontinued.

I've searched for these lines high and low and cannot find any... now I was thinking that the oil cooler is quite small, so would it be at all possible to just remove it from the engine loop and plug the holes with the proper bolts where the hoses attach to? Would this create circulation problems?

Or does anyone know where to get these lines and how much to expect to pay for them?

from what I think i know, an oil cooler only recirculates 1/3 of the total oil that is pumped. I would just plug the holes unless someone knows a reason why not. another suggestion is to replace the connections on the oil filter cover or whatever wit connections that will accept hoses. Cut the lines going into the oil cooler and get some hose to slide over them. I'm assuming that there is enough steel line on the oil cooler ends.

Comment

Re: Can You Remove the Oil Cooler?

Take your oil cooler along with the lines and the fittings on the ends of the lines and go to a hydraulic repair shop. they will be able to crimp and fit new hoses, etc to your cooler with the correct metric threads, etc. Cost shouldnt be excvessive. I think its an exceptionally bad idea to remove the oil cooler and cap off the outlets. The engine is going to run hotter and that is never a good thing. (unless of course all your riding is across icebergs in the antarctic. :-) )

Earl

Originally posted by phaeton
      OK, my oil lines on my 1984 Suzuki GS550EF are seeping oil quite regularily now and I need to replace them, but Suzuki Canada said they are discontinued.

I've searched for these lines high and low and cannot find any... now I was thinking that the oil cooler is quite small, so would it be at all possible to just remove it from the engine loop and plug the holes with the proper bolts where the hoses attach to? Would this create circulation problems?

Or does anyone know where to get these lines and how much to expect to pay for them?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

By excessive... what do you mean? I'm a poor student on a small budget hehe...

Comment

I could be wrong on this Scotty, but my understanding is that all of the oil goes through through the oil cooler except for about 1/3 which goes through the bypass. The reason for the bypass is a safety in case the cooler becomes clogged.

Earl

Originally posted by scotty
          from what I think i know, an oil cooler only recirculates 1/3 of the total oil that is pumped. I would just plug the holes unless someone knows a reason why not. another suggestion is to replace the connections on the oil filter cover or whatever wit connections that will accept hoses. Cut the lines going into the oil cooler and get some hose to slide over them. I'm assuming that there is enough steel line on the oil cooler ends.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            I could be wrong on this Scotty, but my understanding is that all of the oil goes through through the oil cooler except for about 1/3 which goes through the bypass. The reason for the bypass is a safety in case the cooler becomes clogged.

Earl

I thought it was the other way. Im not sure but i believe we have been over the quantities many times, whatever the results are.

Comment

OK guys, what if the bike is limited to short-ish commutes, no long highway runs, and I don't ride it very aggresively in the city, would it still overheat?

Comment

No one actually said it would overheat. The longer runs could actually keep the engine cooler.

Comment

there are over 4000 post relating to the word oil. i suggest you use the search feature and keep refining your search till you find what you want. I am positive we have done this item a dozen times.

Comment

I'll have to find my oil cooler flow diagrams. Of one thing I AM certain, the oil is going somewhere. :-)

Earl

I thought it was the other way. Im not sure but i believe we have been over the quantities many times, whatever the results are.

Comment

OK, I've searched for an hour and I haven't seen this discussed, and I went to 6 different hydraulic line companys and none said they could get the fittings from my lines.

I'm nearly going insane because of this... any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by phaeton
                        OK, I've searched for an hour and I haven't seen this discussed, and I went to 6 different hydraulic line companys and none said they could get the fittings from my lines.

I'm nearly going insane because of this... any suggestions?
                        try drinking lots of wine and maybe one of the guys will find the info in the meantime.

come on guys I know one of you can find the info for this guy.

Comment

This may be a bad idea, but how about teflon tape or permatex or some other type of sealer on the connectors? Obviously it would have to be oil-resistant and something that wouldn't come loose and clog the oilways...this is definitely NOT an application where silicone would be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by IanFrancisco
                            This may be a bad idea, but how about teflon tape or permatex or some other type of sealer on the connectors? Obviously it would have to be oil-resistant and something that wouldn't come loose and clog the oilways...this is definitely NOT an application where silicone would be appropriate.
                            Im still not sure exactly where the oil is seeping from???? got a digital camera maybe???

Comment

I have no camera, and the entire lines are wet, but it looks like its coming from JUST below where you would put your wrench on the upper part of the line (so the upper nut, has a small metal piece that goes to the part that crimps to the line, and its where that small metal piece is).

Tomorrow I'm going to completely clean the outside of the line and drive checking very often to see exactly where its coming from.

Comment

Working...
                              X