rear suspension safety question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear suspension safety question??

ok, so I finally got around to installing the "new" showa shocks I found on the 850. in getting the old POS shocks off it, I found that the shock mounts on both sides top have been stripped of their threads, as well as being slightly bent upwards? I can see how maybe a really big bump and big rider could bend them, but it must really take an idiot to strip them this fully!!

so I must ask, should I get these cut off and replaced? or can I maybe drill it out and install a new bolt??

or the easiest of all would be to just simply rethread them for a smaller nut and call it good? I don't see how the shocks would put all that much force on the nut/bolt section, except for the very slight slant upwards... I can post pics if anyone needs 'em, but I'd have to go home first...

any thoughts?? :?

If you have access to a welder or welding equipment and know how my recommendation would be to cut off the old mounts and weld on new ones.

Comment

I had a similar problem, I cut mine off, drilled out for a Grade 8 fine-threaded bolt. Been working good for 3 years now.

Comment

This is an old thread, I know, but I had the same problem on the left side of my bike. I didn't know it was cross threaded until I removed the bolt so I could take the luggage rack off. I was left with a nice shiny bolt and no useable threads.
        So putting brains together with a friend I took the easiest route possible; drill a hole in the bolt and put a cotter pin in there. Since the suspension shouldn't be putting outward pressure on the pin the problem is solved.

Just figured I would share this as it seems to be a problem for a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkster View Post
          I took the easiest route possible; drill a hole in the bolt and put a cotter pin in there. Since the suspension shouldn't be putting outward pressure on the pin the problem is solved.
          While I would definitely replace it eventually, this will work fine. Especially once you notice the top can't pull that far off if the botom nuts are tightened down properly.

God, that seems like something I would do.... \\/

Comment

last time i sorted some of these mounts out i found it easier to have a couple of new pegs made up & replace the whole brace with new should last another 20 years

I've marked in the pic the bit i cut out :-D

Comment

Working...
            X