79 gs 850g popping through carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs 850g popping through carbs

i have a 79 gs 850 g i just rebuilt the carbs and when i put them back on they started sputtering and you can hear them making popping sounds. I've adjusted the carbs to were all the cylinders run at the same temp. they run at about 525 F what could be the problem? none of the plugs are fowled. I think that the guy at the dealer gave me the wrong jets for it because after i had rebuilt the carbs i looked at the package and it said 750 on it. what size jets should they have. any information would be extremely helpful considering my bike is my only ride to work right now

I don't get the part about adjusting the cylinders to the same "temp". How did you do that?

Comment

temp?

Also, how did you measure the temperature, 525 deg. F seems pretty hot, I think normal temp for these air cooled engines is under 300 deg. F

Luke

Comment

Might had checked that package before installing parts from it and buttoning things up

Seriously, we need more info. Is everything stock? Or was the air box removed and pods installed? Stock exhaust or after market, maybe 4 into 1 header? All these things have an affect on the jetting and will change the requirements (jet size, needle height).

When it is popping, is the air box on and filter installed? Or if it is using pod filterss are they installed when it is poping? Or is it poping with the carbs open in the inlet side? Popping is usually a lean condition and indicates to much air to the fuel ratio.

Comment

the bike is all original nothing aftermarket on it. i measured the temp with a handheld laser temp gauge and i have no clue what can be making it pop through the carbs like it has been

Comment

Working...
          X