gs550 idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550 idle problem

I redid my 1982 gs550m this winter/spring. To make a long list short, I rebuilt/rejetted carbs with a dynojet stage iii kit and a mac 4-1 exhaust. I just got her running pretty good and synced carbs up the best I could. But the problem I am having is that the idle seems to jump up to around 3k for no apparent reason. It will idle fine, then I?ll jump on to go for a ride, and at the end of the driveway when I stop to enter the street the idle won't drop below 3k. Same thing if I stop at a light or stop sign. But the strange thing is if I turn the idle adjust screw a tiny bit it will drop down to around 1k where I initially had it set.

Any suggestions?

Most likely an vacumn leak between carby's and head, or a sticking slide in a carby, but less likely.

Comment

I thought vac leak too, but the intake boots are brand new and sealed. As for carb slides, I will check that out, but they have just been cleaned.
      What i dont understand, is why the idle jumps down to where it should be when i turn the adjustment just a tiny bit

Comment

You can rub a little bit of oil on the slides , I use two stroke.
        Strange that the idle jumps like that though!
        You say you "synced the carb's the best you could"
        If this mean's you just did a bench sync that may be your problem.

Comment

Check that the throttle cable has the proper amount of free play, and that the cable is routed properly, this can cause irratic carb behaviour.

Andre

Comment

Working...
          X