Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on exhaust gaskets?

Man... do I hate to ask this but:

Any tips on installing the exhaust gaskets on an '83 GS750? Are they supposed to be a press fit in the "pocket"? The ones I got seem just slightly oversize for the hole and I just screwed one up trying to press it in with the header pipe.

If these are wrong I'm going to try and take the outer metal ring off and save the gaskety part and inner ring.

/\/\ac

I think you have the wrong gaskets. Mine slip in on my 850, and are even a little "loose", expanding when torquing the header on (I'm assuming that your fit should be the same). Don't tear you old ones apart, take them back and exchange them for the right ones.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
      I think you have the wrong gaskets. Mine slip in on my 850, and are even a little "loose", expanding when torquing the header on (I'm assuming that your fit should be the same). Don't tear you old ones apart, take them back and exchange them for the right ones.
      Ehh... I got the set of four off ebay for $10 shipped from Canada. Not worth the hassle to send 'em back. I'll just get some from the dealer when I find one that I'll do business with.

In the meantime these should work for now, minus the outer metal ring.

/\/\ac

Comment

I'm with Mark on this one. On my GS750 the new gaskets (from crc2onlinecatalog.com) went into place a little loose, so I used a dab of high temp grease to hold them in place before the header went back in.

Comment

Around here $10.00 will buy a new set from the dealer. Mine always just slid right in and I use a dab of anti-sieze on them.

Comment

I don't know what my local dealer would get for them... I'm not living in this area much longer and they managed to convince me in three trips that I never wanted to go back unless I had no other choice.

Anyway, it turns out that had one wrong or defective gasket out of four and it happened to be the first one I tried. The other three slid right in with no problem so I'm going to run one of the old ones (good shape) until I can replace it.

I'm still working on the rest of the bike so its moot right now anyway.

/\/\ac

Comment

you got the wrong gaskets, they should fit loose, i bend mine a bit (ovalise just ever so slightly, long diameter horizontally so it for sure matches the port) to get them to hold in the ports while i screw the header on.

Comment

Originally posted by gsBert
                you got the wrong gaskets, they should fit loose, i bend mine a bit (ovalise just ever so slightly, long diameter horizontally so it for sure matches the port) to get them to hold in the ports while i screw the header on.
                Thats a good idea, I've had the pipes on and off a lot lately and I've been getting tired of juggling the gaskets every time.

/\/\ac

Comment

The GS 750/850 I have been working on Had No Gaskets in at all, the pipe was blowing like a SOB, and NO GASKETS, was given the bike so, I have nothing in to it so far apart from a batery, shouldnt the Exhaust gaskets get changed every time the pipes come off.

Comment

not necessarily joe, not unless you tighten so much that you completely flatten them and strip your bolts that is...

my #3 cylinder currently has 2 gaskets (my bolts were too long for the helicoils, dont even think of asking how that happened...)

i use bolt torque to fasten the header, not to press in the pipe onto the gasket, i use a spreader bar braced against the fork for that... perfect fit everytime, never stripping a bolt again, never an exhaust leak.

and ALWAYS connect the muffler(s) after tightening the headpipe!
                    and always support the header with a box of kleenex while installing to make sure it lines up nicely.

a hard learned lesson is never forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X