Regulator/Rectifier question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator/Rectifier question

I'm waiting for a replacement regulator/rectifier from electrosport industries, but I have a question. Can I run the motorcycle just off the battery without the regulator/rectifier hookedup so I can take my license road test? I've got a 1980 gs1100ET. Thanks.

Sure especially if you disconnect your headlight or keep it turned off if it is switchable. I guess it also depends on how long this will involve running the bike but it will do the bike no harm. Suggestion. make sure the battery is topped up on fluid.

Comment

This is the quickest way to run down a battery. Your bike probably won't run very long on just the battery unless it is strong and has a good charge. I wouldn't suggest any long rides. Also if your regualtor is bad it can fry your stator and or your battery too! Something to think about$$$

Comment

Like I said the regulator is not connected to the bike and I'm only going to be running it long enough for my test. I'm just worried about damage to the elctrical system not running down my battery.

Comment

With a good battery I was able to run for about 90 minutes with the lights on and several hours with it off. Disconnect both the stator and RR so the stator won't blow fuses, burn bulbs etc. I would also tape off the stator connectors to prevent any sparks or shorting.

Comment

Working...
          X