Identify a GS 1000 (Probably N series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identify a GS 1000 (Probably N series)

I bought what is supposedly a 79 GS 1000 model bike, from the pictures it does indeed to be this bike, but now I am trying to figure out what model of GS 1000 the bike is.

I am reading a bout a lot of people in the forums using frame numbers and engine numbers to find this out... I have looked my bike up and down and I can not for the life of me find any of these identifiers.

Where might I find the frame number and engine number? I think someone said there is a stamped plate on the right side of the engine for the engine ID, but I don't see this on my bike, perhaps it was taken off?

If you could post a picture that would be most fruitful in getting a positive ID.

The engine number is stamped on the lower case half near where the oil goes in I believe? The VIN number is on the frame right on the front of where the triple tree bolts through it.

Comment

I will get some pictures... I am actually getting very funny feeling that this might be a GS 850, not a 1000 model. Anyway, it will just take me am minute or two to put them up.

Comment

I actually found it! I went looking near the oil cap, it was really badly worn out and I had to rub graphite all over it and use my finger to rub it in to actually make the ID readable.

THis is what I saw: GS100G-108061

And go figure that this number does not exist within the N series list for GS1000 models, or any GS models for that matter. Though it is always possible that the engine has been replaced in this bike, it is very old, I am not sure if this is the case and there is no visible evidence yet to support this.

Comment

It could also be GS100G-103061

But at least we know now that it is a GS100G, the only funny thing is that I don't think any of these were 1979 model vehicles, G was 1980-1981 I thought.

Comment

I am thinking that it is in fact a GS1000GN

If you look at the chart on the homepage is shows a 1000G for the year 79 listed as an N model.

Comment

My 1980 says gs100g and its a shaftie :?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

If you look at the chart on the homepage is shows a 1000G for the year 79 listed as an N model.
                I have been checking all the ID stuff on this site and I didn't see that. Where did you see it? (Link?).

It is clear that it is a GS1000G model, I was beginning to think that it is an 80 model since I can't seem to find parts for the 79 model through http://www.bikebandit.com and this page http://www.suzukicycles.org/countrie...shtml~isoraami doesn't list the GS1000G as a 79 model.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

Yeah model year for my 1980 is T making it a GT a 81 would be GX a 79 would be GN.

Comment

Take a look at the puctures at http://www.cliffordroche.com/ph1l3s/GS1000.zip

Notice the size and shape of the blue panel beneath the seat, and the fact that it is a shaftie instead of chain driven. Makes me think this is a 1980 GS1000G model.

The GS1000G models according to the site borrowed a lot of parts from the 79 GS850 model, which I noted on some of the parts when searching for identifiers.

Despite the stepped seat on the bike, I do not think this is a GL.

Comment

Look at the chart here to see what I was saying. I really do not know though. :roll:

Comment

I looked at your pictures. That is a GS1000G for sure. Positively not an L model. It looks to be an 80 but if they made one in 79 as the chart says then there you have it. A 1979 GS1000GN

Comment

Hey Mark post the picture from this link as it does not work for me :?

Comment

Ok i got the link to work

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
                              http://www.cliffordroche.com/ph1l3s/GS1000.zip

Hey Mark post the picture from this link as it does not work for me :?
                              Here you go John:

Comment

Working...
                              X