Identify a GS 1000 (Probably N series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was my 1980 two summers ago

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAA*A5sVeR5tTPwMidA6suKPAZ4VBQMihbX45jFjsyE36yWEF Qlg3b0!D!74URKFBq5uoRhdgRF7GN8qFvnOyFTOkEWQYrPGgdW hQMnuZulPdTMx5nu!yQ/DSCF00030.JPG[/img]

Comment

Striking resemblance no?

Comment

John, are your front rotors drilled?

Comment

Yeah, I am pretty sure there is no 1979 model, likely a misprint in this website because I can find absolutely no information about a 79 model of the GT anywhere on the internet.

In 81 all vehicles had to have a VIN and this one does not, so that pretty much narrows it down. It is a 1980 GS1000GT which means I also had to re-order my service manual today...

Anyone want to buy a manual for a GS1000 (1978-79) E/S/N/L? lol.

Now that is aside, I need to figure out why this bike is so very difficult to start...

Comment

It also has CV carbs. VM carbs were on '79 models. So it's at least an '80.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hey cmroche...where ya from...looks like Seattle/Tacoma area?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                John, are your front rotors drilled?

See below

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UACvAoEYSvIhEalB1Pdn*ueRltqPLchjFftlCYt6jlqE82oov 4VBWznwo7jTy0WUHcirpLTzJbKnb102b08XV3oea4lGyAjm901 OvySAAfGgvFTzpC0B4nSCtBcAcLQX/Front%20Rotor.jpg[/img]

Comment

His rotors are not drilled. John's are. In 79 they still did not drill them. In 80 they did. Assuming stock. I am going to say this bike is a hybrid. Not all original. You wouldn't find info for a GT looking for 79's because the T stands for 1980. In 79 you'll be looking for an N. Also, your bike does have a VIN. All UJM bikes made do regardless of the year. It's right where I said it was or else someone removed it. In which case your bike would no longer have a legal frame in many states. I think if you stick to the 1980 GS1000G part for info you'll be OK.

Comment

Strange, i read somewhere that there was no VIN prior to 1981. In any case my gf found the frame number recently, the vehicle is registered through Province of Nova Scotia (No Seattle or Tacoma, sorry), no VIN attach to the regitsration, and everything is good with it, legal here.

Comment

It is always possible that the rotors have been replaced on the bike, I mean the bike is 25 years old :P And it is not likely that the shaft was "just put on" the bike... not as likely anyway as the rotors being replaced, lol.

It is interesting to note that the frame serial on the bike is GS850, but when reading on another Suzuki website (suzukicycles.org I think it was), the GS1000GT bikes have borrowed a LOT of parts from the GS850 (79 model).. I have noticed this on the exaust and airbox as well.. only the airbox has GS1000 and GS850 on it.

Comment

cmroche, my bikes are both 1978 models actually manufactured in 1977. Both have VIN numbers on the frames where I said they could be found. I assure, you, who ever told you that is mistaken

As for the rotors and other parts. That is what I am saying, I believe your bike is not all original and is a mix match of parts from several bikes from different years. But again I say that I think you will have your best success just treating it as a 1980 GS1000G and use that type service manual. That and this web site and you'll be OK

No matter how you look at it, it's a nice bike 8)
                        Just needs a little TLC

Comment

Haha, you are right... my GF found the VIN on the vehicle the other day when we were looking for the frame serial number. Actually she found both of them for me.

The VIN is of course very difficult to read, and because of the windshiel/fairing on it, it is actually almost impossible to read. Taking the fairing off looks by no means like an easy task.

I know the frame on the bike is stamped GS850-

Looks like parts from a 79 GS850 and an 80 GS1000 went into this bike.

Comment

Hey Mark,

The best clue that that your bike is not a 79 is the lack of a kick starter. Suzuki dropped the kick starter starting in 1980.

Good luck with it

Comment

Just to add to the mystery is it possible someone put a GS1000G engine into a 1979 GS850GN. Frame number says 850, engine says 1000. If you found the reg sticker what was the actual production date on it. If it's after 07/78 then it's a 1979, if it's after 07/79 then it would be a 1980.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by scotto58
                                Hey Mark,

The best clue that that your bike is not a 79 is the lack of a kick starter. Suzuki dropped the kick starter starting in 1980.

Good luck with it
                                Actually, if it has a 1000 motor in it as it appears to at this point, the 1000's never came with a kick starter in any year. From the first to the last.

Originally posted by Sandy
                                Just to add to the mystery is it possible someone put a GS1000G engine into a 1979 GS850GN. Frame number says 850, engine says 1000. If you found the reg sticker what was the actual production date on it. If it's after 07/78 then it's a 1979, if it's after 07/79 then it would be a 1980.

Putting my money here Or something very close to this.

Comment

Working...
                                X