• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, thanks for making me even more confused. :? I do appreciate all
    the comments on this which gives me some ideas to maximize my bikes
    performance....Should also note that I have a windshield, saddlebags,
    luggage rack with bag. I'm sure wind currents will cause different results
    at different speeds. Here's my bike's specs if interested and thanks again:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDrAlUTmYwNN6E*AVvUiPZ8RFVLBJ*2whHUuRiN0NmsVZA7u EiOHCiX!HszTQkPJQ6zBE7eHE2bztsYOXP*7YfsRy634IJP7LE !EdQRGRw/gr650%20specs.jpg[/img]

Comment

Slow down you maniac.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
        Well, thanks for making me even more confused. :? I do appreciate all
        the comments on this which gives me some ideas to maximize my bikes
        performance....Should also note that I have a windshield, saddlebags,
        luggage rack with bag. I'm sure wind currents will cause different results
        at different speeds.
        Yeah sorry Bret :? Sometimes you can say the same thing 5 times 5 different ways and still not be understood. But it's all good. I just want "YOU" to know that the point I was making to "YOU" was not my opinion. It's just how things work. Period. More throttle equals more fuel equals lower fuel economy.

If you are still interested in knowing what it is all you need to do is go with the throttle marking idea mentioned earlier in this thread. Mark your throttle position when cruising at the speed where you know your getting your max economy and then do a test at the other speed where you know you are not and see what the throttle position is there. You should see that it is using more throttle at that speed. If so, you have your answer, know that it is your new gear ratios and can relax that your bike is fine. If it is not the case, then there may actually be an issue with your bike. My opinion in the matter is that the latter is probably not the case. I am betting your bike is fine.

I was hoping to help you, not start a debate. I hate debates. It is not one of the things I like about the GSR.

Rock on buddy 8)

Comment

Bret ,I hope all the idea's put forward here can be of some use to,there was no intent to confuse, sorry my friend if it ended up that way.
          A big part of the GSR is that it is a mixing pot of idea's and knowledge that help's, and often entertain's.
          Good luck with your bike.

Comment

Adding to the confusion- increasing MPG

It sounds like people in the link did not think about RPM's verses MPG (It is not just MPH vs MPG).
            To think of it in the extreme case, if you tried to hypothetically do 60MPH in first gear (DON'T do this, you could damage many things on some bikes) you will not get as good gas mileage as if you are in a higher gear (say fifth that is intended to go 60 MPH).

There was a similiar thread a few months ago and someone said putting a fairing on helps MPG alot. Also, easy on twisting the throttle and one person said they skip 2nd and 4th gears when accelerating slowly. I put a fairing on and tried the other things and even though I have not yet done the calculations I think they were correct. I'll post the results once I fill the first tank back up. I tried to look for the old thread but could not find it.

Have other people found secrets to increase MPG's?

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
              I know...I know....this is why I'm having trouble with this....both
              you guys make sense too me....will try a few adjustments and
              see's what happens.
              Just ride the damn thing!!!! Dont worry about gas mileage.your getting way better gas mileage than most cars out there anyway~!!!!!!!!Just ride it as much as you can and you will save gas!!!!!ENJOY\!!!!!!

Comment

I went for a ride of 175 miles today on the 1150. Got back to town and stopped for gas before heading to the house. Gas milage with various speeds between 55 and 80 mph was only 51 mpg. What can I do to improve this?

Earl :-) :-)
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I agree with tconroy. At 75 you'll be a lot more alert, having more fun and saving gas.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    I went for a ride of 175 miles today on the 1150. Got back to town and stopped for gas before heading to the house. Gas milage with various speeds between 55 and 80 mph was only 51 mpg. What can I do to improve this?

Send Me Your Bike and Get a Moped!\\/
                    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Come to Missouri and I will trade you my 650 for yours!!LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
                        Just ride the damn thing!!!! Dont worry about gas mileage.your getting way better gas mileage than most cars out there anyway~!!!!!!!!Just ride it as much as you can and you will save gas!!!!!ENJOY\!!!!!!
                        Been doing just that, thank you very much. :-D

Comment

Take it up to 90

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk
                            I agree with tconroy. At 75 you'll be a lot more alert, having more fun and saving gas.

Yep....but its hard convincing the cops that I'm doing my part to conserv energy.

Comment

Disconnect your brakes and put sintered soles on your boots.
                              Run bald tires at 80 psi.
                              Pry the power robbing O rings from your chain.
                              Use SAE 5W oil.
                              Increase the compression ratio to 16:1.
                              Open a sail behind you for tailwinds.
                              Install solar panels and a DC traction motor.
                              Fasten a tow rope to trucks in their blind spot.

Glad I could help.:-D:-D

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions. :-) I'm removing the tires from the rims in an effort to reduce rolling friction.

Earl
                                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                                X