Adjusting points??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting points??

Hello everyone, I recently bought an 81 gs750 and have recently, in the last few days been having some problems getting it started, and was hoping that maby someone could lend me a hand. The engine cranks over, but it does not fire, it has been running, pretty well, over the last few weeks. I was instructed that I need to "adjust the points" in order to get it running again. I have a service manual, but I can find nothing about where to locate, or how to adjust them. Is the person im talking to refearing to the ignition timing? The only thing that I can think of as a note would be that if I connect it to a battery charger, or anouther battery and jump start it, that the engine cranks a bit, and then fires over, and runs fine, but it will not start, though it cranks over fine on its own.

THANKS for any help
    Evan

I think from 1980 on all GS's use transistorized ignition. You should get a shop manual for your bike because not all info that people tell you is accurate. Someone who doesn't know GS's told you to check your points when you don't have any. Use the search feature of the forum to find TONS of info about your bike. Sometimes when someone makes a post that is about something that has been covered many times before there are not too many replies. Use the search feature!

Comment

I think by "not fire" Abyss is saying that it doesn't start when you crank it over. Is that right Abyss? Or do you mean no spark at the plugs?

Comment

That is correct, there is spark at the plugs, it just does not start when I crank it over, seeming no matter how long I try for. When I hook it up to anouther battery or charger though, I can crank on it for a min or two and it will fire up, and run alright, but it has to be completely choked. The engine will fire over and run once it gets hot, but it backfires alot when running. Could this all possiably be a carb issues, and not points as I was instructed?

THANKS!!
        Evan

Comment

No way can it be your points, because you don't have any. And yes it could be your carbs.

A few simple things to check. Make sure your petcock assembly is working properly. In other words when the bike is off and your petock is on "run" you shouldn't have gas coming out of your tank into the carbs. Also, make sure that your petcock isn't on "Prime" all the time. That could flood you engine making it hard to start like you say. If it has been on "prime" for a long time check your oil to see if there is gas in it.

Make sure your battery is in good shape. You'll need voltmeter to check for proper voltage..

When the bike is running make sure all cylinders are firing. You can check this by feeling your exhaust pipes to see if they are warm. See if they warm up equally.

Check your airbox and filter and make sure that its put together and sealed tight and that your air filter isn't clogged.

Pull the plugs and let the folks here no what color they are. They should be light grey or tan and not oiled or black.

Get a manual like Ian said if you don't have one.
          I"m not the expert and I don't know that much about your model, especially carb settings etc.

Read the stator papers that you can click on at the Home page.

give the folks as much info. as you can when you ask your questions, and I think pretty soon you'll be in good shape.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X