Center stand or side stand ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center stand or side stand ???

I'm not near the mechanic that you all are, but still, I'm reading this site off and on since I got my 850 a few months ago... Trying to pick up bits of info that is very helpful to me.

It seems that I've read somewhere here about parking these bikes on their side stand or center stand for certain reasons. But it didn't sink in at the time as to why. My 850 G "T" ran very well (at least I think so) when I first got it, and it still does. However, I now am getting a very strong smell of gas, but only about half the time, when I stop.

Anyway, as I continue to learn what is causing this - probably one or more of the following - stuck floats, needle problems, worn and cracked intake boots etc. - It dawned on me... Should I be parking this bike only on the center stand???

I'd like to learn the reasons why... center vs. side stand ... relative to - warming up, or, short stops (< hour) , medium stops (< day), long stops (multi day parking). And is this only a concern if you have carb issues? ie. If your carbs are perfect, or when these bikes were new... is this even an issue??? Thanks a bunch.

I park my bike on the center stand, except for brief periods of time.

One time, and one time only, I had a float needle valve stick on the number one carb while the bike was on the side stand. Luckily the fuel did not contaminate the oil. Happened on a camping trip, bike made a mess of the asphalt car pad. Glad I didn't have a fire that night with lots of sparks, too! My tent was within ten feet of the bike! Center stand for me since then!

Comment

I don't think parking on the side stand should cause any problems. I have not experienced any.

Comment

Mine is always parked on the side stand. Living in Florida I ride year round. If your working on it the center stand is the place to be. If you park it for the winter put it on the center stand on block the front so both wheels are off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by fgh
          Mine is always parked on the side stand. Living in Florida I ride year round. If your working on it the center stand is the place to be. If you park it for the winter put it on the center stand on block the front so both wheels are off the ground.
          FGH your'e in Jax huh? You should hook up with Don and head to the Florida Run next Saturday.

There have been some who experienced things like Jim mentioned, and there have been some who have developed Gas leaks on the #1carb, and yet there have been some who have had Smoking Problems from perhaps oil puddling up on the left side of the Valve cover. edit: on start up.

So, many people trust the center stand. I've not had problems, I went about 6 to 8 months without and no ill effects.

Comment

doesnt he have a vacume operated petcock????

Comment

Thanks all this is very helpful.

And, Yes I do think my '80 850 G has a vacume fuel petcock.

Sooooo, maybe my gas smell, that also sometimes has a drip along with it (under the engine), is from a slightly leaking petcock??? I've read what you all say about that... Do I pull the fuel line off the bottom of the petcock and just see if anything leaks out? Should you not have any drip at all? Even over an exteded time? Does any drip mean, that you need a new one?

And would parking the bike on the side or center stand have any effect on the petcock?

Comment

You won't know you have a leaking petcock, if your needle & seat are sealing properly, and you won't know your needle & seat is leaking, if your petcock is working properly. I've only used center stand for routine maintenance, like oil changes & tire changes, and sometimes winter storage. Never had any problem with side stand parking, even when left on sidestand for winter.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by GregM.
                  Do I pull the fuel line off the bottom of the petcock and just see if anything leaks out? Should you not have any drip at all? Even over an exteded time? Does any drip mean, that you need a new one?
                  Yes.
                  No.
                  No.
                  Maybe....depends on how big/much the drip is....2 or 3 drips an hour
                  I would'nt worry about......but it should not drip at all when in "on" position.

Comment

Thanks all, you guys are f@^&*@% awesome.

It sounds like my intermittent, strong fuel odor, could be a slight petcock leak... and, or, a problem with a carb needle or float. And as I already said, I know the intake boots (especially on the L. side) are likely not sealing the way they're supposed to. Where they connect to the cylinder head... they're very brittle and pieces are chipping off.

Soooo, when I get some time, I'll do a petcock test first (sounds like even a non-mechanic can't mess that up). I've already ordered the intake boots from crotchrocket... should I buy 4 of those carb rebuild kits (K&L I think) off ebay?? Then, I know of retired Suzuki mechanics around Seattle here... I could have them do a complete carb rebuild and sync, replace boots etc.
                    BTW, I've read here more than once, about a member that sells o-ring sets for these bikes. How do I get a hold of him?? And what o-rings are included??

Anyway, after some good work, my fun ride would still run great, but my intermittent smell would be gone... and I wouldn't have to worry about which way I park it... right??

Comment

Working...
                    X