Multi-piston front brake options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-piston front brake options?

Hey guys, I really hate the brakes on my 550 and I have for quite some time now. I have considered doing the dual disc front brake upgrade and I am still considering it, but wanted to see what other options I had.

I'm considering getting rid of the bike in a year or so (not giving up on GS's) so that is sitting in the back of my mind as a reason not to spend more money than necessary.

Are there any GS's that came with a multi-piston front brake caliper? New bikes on the road have anywhere from 3 to 6 (depends what you count as a piston) and I have 1/2. Aftermarket companies like wilwood and brembo are probably too expensive for this.

Even with new pads and stainless steel brake lines, it's still not what I want.

Any help?

~Adam

Get a front master cylinder from a GSXR with a remote resevouir. You will not believe the difference in feel and response. You can find them on e-bay for as little as $25.

Hope this helps,

Andre

Comment

Re: Multi-piston front brake options?

Originally posted by AOD
      Hey guys, I really hate the brakes on my 550 and I have for quite some time now. I have considered doing the dual disc front brake upgrade and I am still considering it, but wanted to see what other options I had.~Adam
      Ah, have you considered turning it into a classic brakeless flat tracker? No? Well, OK, scratch that one...

I know what you mean about those old brakes tho'. There are times I wish I had a boat anchor to 'throw overboard' to help me stop.

Cheapest way to go would be to add the disc up front using the old parts. Is your fork set up for it or do you have to buy a slider too? Would having the discs drilled help? It helps in the wet, dunno about when it's dry.

Comment

Jim, I actually have a drilled front rotor from another GS on it already, and it didn't make much of a difference in braking. What did help was some new pads and stainless steel brake lines, but I'm to the point again where I'm just not happy with the way it stops.

All of the GS's I know that had only a single rotor up front did not have a the caliper bolt holes on the other fork. As you said, I would have to swap over the entire front forks and brake components from a twin rotor bike.

The easier options are:

1. Swap in my parts 550 master brake cylinder and see how it stops.

2. Purchase newer sport bike master cylinder from Ebay

3. Attempt to retrofit multi-piston brake caliper on my bike.

I have option 1 sitting in the garage, just needs a brake lever swap...

~Adam

Comment

If the chance is good you're selling it in a year, I'd leave it be.
          You might be opening a can of worms here.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Get a four or six piston caliper off a recent sportsbike that matches your master cilinder and get/make a adaptor for the caliper, it would be my choice but I am not selling my bike in a year.

Comment

i have calipers off a 97 kat i belive, they wont mount up due to the mag wheel hitting the calipers, i used the master cylinder from that bike with with new stainless steel lines, now the front ends bottoms out so bad when the brakes are pulled hard, thats only useing 2 fingers on the lever

Comment

I've been watching Ebay items for calipers and master cylinders. I may buy a caliper and see what it would take to fab a bracket up to make it work.

I say I may sell the bike in a year mainly because it's not 'enough' bike anymore. It's a great bike but I'm ready for something else. I want something that brakes good and goes nicely with a passenger on back. My co-worker keeps bugging me to buy his GS1100E but I'm not sold yet.

Of course, I'll probably keep it just because I have too much time/money/heart into the bike.

~Adam

Comment

I just realized newer sportbike front master cylinders will not have the threaded mirror rod part, which means I would have to weld a bung on and tap it, or find another way to install mirros on my bike. :?

Comment

the mirror mount is usually on the rear part of the mastercylinder mount by mixing and matching you can end up with the mirror mount, I did, and still use a gixer mastercylinder

Comment

Close-up pictures of it?

Comment

LIKE THIS

Comment

Working...
                        X