Carbs back on, bike won't start--gas in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs back on, bike won't start--gas in oil

I initially pulled my carbs off because I was having the gas in the airbox/pouring out of the airbox outlet hose/gas in the oil problem. I replaced the valve needles/seats/o-rings, and a float that had gas in it. Once I got everything back on the bike, it'll crank like crazy, but it won't start--it won't even try, really.

I realized that I had been trying to start it without changing the oil that had a ton of gas in it--dumb, I know.

Before I pulled the carbs, the bike tried to start, and even did so on a couple of occasions--so I think I'm still getting everything I need for combustion, although I'll check the plugs tonight, too.

I know that it's a really bad idea to run the bike with gas in the oil, but will this condition affect the starting of my bike?

Many thanks,
    Milan

You are very likely to blow the head gasket or damage your engine by running it with a mixture of oil/gas.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Oh and check your petcock and see if it is functioning properly.
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd
        You are very likely to blow the head gasket or damage your engine by running it with a mixture of oil/gas.
        I appreciate the advice, but "running it" is not an option at this point. "Getting it running" is the problem.

So, will having gas in the oil cause (or contribute to) a no-start problem?

Thanks!
        Milan

Comment

Yes, change the oil.
          2010 Honda VFR1200F
          Being Revisited
          1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Gas in the oil will have no affect on the bike starting or not starting. It is a separate problem that does need to be fixed. Do not run your engine that way 8O

That could be caused by a bad petcock (most likely) or sticking floats too. Depends if it happens when running or sitting or both.

Comment

This might be one of the problems I'm having as well...
              Not to interrupt, but can you all tell me how you know if there's fuel in the oil??
              I know... don't use a match Do you just remove the oil fill cap and use your nose? What are the correct ways??

Comment

Originally posted by GregM.
                This might be one of the problems I'm having as well...
                Not to interrupt, but can you all tell me how you know if there's fuel in the oil??
                I know... don't use a match Do you just remove the oil fill cap and use your nose? What are the correct ways??
                You cannot mistake to smell of gas. If you need a reference point. Take two small cups. Put just oil in one. Now put oil and gas in the other. Smell both, then smell your crankcase. No, I am not joking, some people have a hard time telling without doing this

It's pretty obvious though once you know the smell.

Comment

Well, the way I found it is that I pulled out the dipstick (my GS450L has a dipstick) and it was obvious--the smell and appearance of the oil left no doubt.

So, not to be glib, but for me it was very clear. But there was a lot of gas in the oil, so I'm not sure how to check for a small amount of gas.

And I promise to change the oil before I do anything else with the bike. Cross my heart and hope to have my rectifier die.

Milan

Comment

Originally posted by Tighthead
                    Well, the way I found it is that I pulled out the dipstick (my GS450L has a dipstick) and it was obvious--the smell and appearance of the oil left no doubt.

So, not to be glib, but for me it was very clear. But there was a lot of gas in the oil, so I'm not sure how to check for a small amount of gas.

And I promise to change the oil before I do anything else with the bike. Cross my heart and hope to have my rectifier die.

Milan
                    Find the problem first Milan. Oil is expensive and if you don't fix the problem you'll just be wasting 3.5 quarts of new oil. Take the fuel line off your petcock that feeds your carbs and see if gas keeps coing out. Let it sit in a small cup for an hour or so to tell. Do you think you got the gas in there while the bike was sitting or when it was running?

Comment

I should apologize--I haven't been entirely clear about the background of the problem. I will explain more. I took the carbs off because while I was able to get it running, briefly, gas would end up in the airbox, pouring out of the outlet hose, and in the oil.

So, I took the carbs off and in the process of getting and installing new valve needles, seats, o-rings, and a float that had gas in it, I forgot (I know, I'm a dummy) about the gas in the oil thing. So the gas was already in the oil.

I'm reasonably certain the petcock is working properly because nothing comes out when it's ON, but it will flow out just fine when it's on PRI.

After reinstalling the carbs, I tried to start the bike, with no luck. It cranks strong but it won't start. Then I remembered the gas in the oil. That realization prompted my question: will the gas-in-the-oil situation cause a no-start. I couldn't see how it would, but you never know. Even I'm smart enough to know that gas in the oil is not a good thing. That's why the first thing I'll do tonight is change the oil, just to get past that problem.

My big problem now is that in order to check if I actually fixed the problem, I need to get the bike started. After I get the oil changed, I'll pull the spark plugs out and see if I'm getting any spark. Maybe I did something to the coil wires when I was taking off the gas tank.

I really don't want to sound like an ass about all this--I really appreciate the advice and I apologize for not providing enough background.

Milan

Comment

Never a problem man. The more info the better. If you have spark make sure your bowls are filling next. She should fire off with just a few cranks after you put the carbs back on.

Comment

Did you put it on prime to fill the bowls before you tried to start it. You won't get enough vacuam cranking it to open the petcock.

Comment

Yeah, I did put it on PRIme and the bowls have gas in them.

The latest: I pulled the spark plugs and checked for spark. Only the left plug sparked, and that was a little white spark--I thought I read somewhere that a good spark will be an impressive blue spark. The right side didn't spark at all.

So, what next? Do I replace the plugs, just to make sure the plugs aren't bad, or go ahead and swap out the coils, for which I have replacements?

Thanks again,
                            Milan

Comment

It runs!

So today I changed the oil and spark plugs and the bike started right up!

Only tricky thing about putting it back together was that plate that sits on top of the carbs and holds the throttle cable--I couldn't get it right. Every time I would start it, it would idle just fine, but when I opened the throttle, it would rev and then stay put at high revs--wouldn't return to idle, in other words. But after a lot of trial and error, it seems to be fine now.

I really appreciate everyone's help--you guys are all very patient and helpful, and I couldn't have done it without you.

Thanks again!
                              Milan

Comment

Working...
                              X